Saggy face at 22. Please help me to find a solution to this problem. (Photo)

I'm 22 and have started to notice my face is saggy especially at the bottom. I have no idea what to do. Its hereditary as my mom has them pretty bad but she is 58. I never worried about them cause aging is a natural occurrence for everyone, but at this age I find it very distressing. Please help me to find a solution to this problem.

At 22y old, a facelift is not a solution

it is difficult to say much based on your dark photo.  Look at your self in the mirror and try to figure out what exactly it is that is bothering you.  At this age you do not have sagging skin or jowling, wrinkles or any other problem that is treated with a facelift.

Facelift at young age

If you are troubled by sagging skin in your early to mid twenties then surgery is generally not the answer. Fillers can be used for some of the lines around the mouth but these are patients who may respond best to non invasive techniques such as Exilis. This is a monopolar radiofrequency device that creates some heat in the lower layers of skin. It injures the skin just enough that the skin lays down new collagen and elastic fibers and the skin tightens somewhat. It does not do as much as surgical skin removal but in younger patients who need less skin tightening this a good technique. It is best to seek a consultation with a speialist who provides both surgical and non invasive skin tightening so that you may get the best recommendation.

Treatment of facial changes at age 22.

There is very limited information in the provided photograph. It looks as though filler in the marionette line would be of some benefit.

Saggy face at 22?

Hi.  Although your photo is very dark and hard to view, I really don't see anything major that would require you to have major surgery at your young age.  You don't have any significant skin laxity, sagging or wrinkles.

At most, I would consider some injectable fillers to help with the down-turned corners of your mouth and early marionette lines.  But that's about it.

Sagging face at 22

Thank you for asking about your face.

Your photo isn't clear to me as to exactly what is troubling you - there are lots of shadows.
  • Whatever is going on, it is unlikely to be aging.
  • One possibility is low thyroid function - so be sure your regular doctor checks that.
  • Another possibility is that you have lost a lot of weight or have been given steroids that changed your face.
  • Regardless, your best approach is an in-person consultation - take photos of yourself in the past to show the change - to decide what is changing and what to do about it. .

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

the photo is dark. What little that I see, you may benefit from fat grafting or filler around the mouth and cheek. you may benefit from an implant as well. Talk to a plastic surgeon.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Options for the young patient with a saggy looking face

It's difficult to tell exactly what would help with only this photo, but you might need cheek and chin implants for better facial definition to achieve a more oval and feminine face. Removing fat from your lower cheeks through the mouth (buccal fat pad removal) may also help. Improving the bone structure of your face will not only look better now, but also provide better support for the soft tissues of your face as you get older.

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Please help me to find a solution to this problem

It doesn't appear that you have any unusual signs of aging. Your 58-year-old mother may be developing jowling, but you do not appear to have any. From the limited photograph it appears that you have a normal, healthy and youthful face.

Sagging face

Hi catsmeoww. Thanks for your question. Your face looks normal and appropriate for someone of your age! At 22, there is not significant muscle, soft tissue or skin laxity to cause real face or neck descent. If you are interested in freshening up your look, you can consider procedures on the skin or fillers to add volume. Good luck! Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saggy face at 22. Please help me to find a solution to this problem.

Try not to be so hard on yourself! From your picture, it does not look like your face is "sagging". Our faces do change slowly over time, and your face at 22 does not look exactly like it did at 16. That doesn't necessarily mean that how you look is a bad thing. Enjoy being youthful as this will not be there forever and the changes you see in 15 years will be real changes that may require surgical intervention etc to look closer to what you did at 22. We do offer fillers that are not permanent and could possibly take away some of your complaints. Find a PS that you feel comfortable with and talk to them about your concerns to see what your options are.