ARTAS FUE transplant and the safety of a sneeze?

I just had an ARTAS FUE transplant yesterday. It went great! I find myself getting nervous over every little thing though, as it is quite an investment and I want to make sure each graft stays good and healthy and a full head of hair is achieved. I just sneezed really hard twice. My scalp feels tight and a little sore today and I felt the sneezes in my scalp. Would a sneeze dislodge a transplant?

Can a sneeze dislodge ARTAS FUE grafts one day following a procedure?

Dear Eepittyouken,

Thank you for writing in with your question. It is very unlikely that a couple of sneezes are going to dislodge grafts from an ARTAS FUE transplant procedure performed the previous day. The follicles are held into the scalp with a fibrin clot, which at 24 hours should not be disturbed by simple sneezing. The sensations in your scalp are almost certainly due to the tugging on the skin during a sneeze, and since the area was anesthetized with needles the day before, the scalp can remain a bit tender for a week or so following a procedure. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Sneeze is less likely to dislodge a transplanted hair.

Sneeze rarely dislodge hair follicles.  And hair normally will be quite "attached" after three days.  However, weight lifting would not be recommended as least 10 days after surgery.

Alan Liu, MD
Taiwan Hair Restoration Surgeon

Sneezing post transplant.

Hello. I doubt the common sneezing at 24 hours post procedure would dislodge your grafts. The body acts as glue & the grafts are held into the scalp with the tiny blood scab.  Everything should be fine

Craig Barbieri, MD
Overland Park Phlebologist

Sneezing Shouldn't Dislodge Grafts

Sneezing in the post-operative period will not dislodge grafts. Since it is only one day following your procedure, your scalp is still swollen and sore, and sneezing (or coughing) may increase the pressure causing some discomfort, but will not harm the transplanted grafts. Grafts are permanently in place and cannot be dislodged at 10 days after your procedure.

If the transplant was performed well with the proper  placement of the grafts it is unlikely a sneeze would dislodge the grafts. We have one of the largest experiences in the world with the ARTAS system and never experienced this problem

Sneezes after an ARTAS hair transplant

It's unlikely a few sneezes will cause harm. But if it did you'd know because the graft would pop and bleeding would ensure. It's extremely unlikely there is any concern. 

However, repeated coughing  early on post op has a greater potential to disrupt grafts. A few sneezes does not.

Sneezing after FUE

You should be fine.  It would be unlikely that a sneeze would dislodge any grafts. The best is to let the sneeze out from your mouth as to not increase pressure.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Sneezing after Hair Restoration

You should have no problem with your grafts from sneezing following hair restoration.  I always advise my patients to not hold back any sneezing and to let a sneeze out through the mouth to avoid pressure increases.  But even if a sneeze is held back, this will not affect the grafts.  Best Regards

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sneezing after ARTAS FUE, is it safe?

Relax, this was most likely safe and close to a none event. You are asking did this cause any damage? Had the event dislodged a graft it would have caused bleeding that would have been obvious. Your question then would have been," I sneezed and grafts popped out, what can I do to stop the bleeding, and what do I do with the popped grafts?" The most important thing to do now is to follow the post op instructions given by your surgeon. Please care for the transplanted area in the next four months to protect this area from prolonged Sun exposure as this can really compromise the growth of the transplant! Very best of luck!!

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Sneezing or straining will not dislodge the graft that was implanted. If you are having other issues you can always contact you

Sneezing or straining will not dislodge the graft that was implanted. If you are having other issues you can always contact your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon