ARTAS FUE transplant and the safety of a sneeze?

I just had an ARTAS FUE transplant yesterday. It went great! I find myself getting nervous over every little thing though, as it is quite an investment and I want to make sure each graft stays good and healthy and a full head of hair is achieved. I just sneezed really hard twice. My scalp feels tight and a little sore today and I felt the sneezes in my scalp. Would a sneeze dislodge a transplant?

Can a sneeze dislodge ARTAS FUE grafts one day following a procedure?

Dear Eepittyouken,

Thank you for writing in with your question. It is very unlikely that a couple of sneezes are going to dislodge grafts from an ARTAS FUE transplant procedure performed the previous day. The follicles are held into the scalp with a fibrin clot, which at 24 hours should not be disturbed by simple sneezing. The sensations in your scalp are almost certainly due to the tugging on the skin during a sneeze, and since the area was anesthetized with needles the day before, the scalp can remain a bit tender for a week or so following a procedure. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Sneezing after ARTAS

It is unlikely that sneezing will cause any significant loss of grafts. Over the next week or so you may notice small numbers of grafts being shed. This is normal so please do not be too concerned. 

Reza Nassab, FRCS (Plast)
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Sneezing after a procedure

You likely will not dislodge a graft by sneezing.  I understand your nervous and want to protect your investment but normal bodily functions shouldn't hurt any of your new hairs.

Bobbi D. Edwards, MD
Southfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Sneezing after a procedure

Its very rare to sneeze and dislodge a grafts.  It is mostly likely immediately post op.  With each passing day, it is becomes even more rare.  Good luck.

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Sneeze is less likely to dislodge a transplanted hair.

Sneeze rarely dislodge hair follicles.  And hair normally will be quite "attached" after three days.  However, weight lifting would not be recommended as least 10 days after surgery.

Alan Liu, MD
Taiwan Hair Restoration Surgeon

Sneezing post transplant.

Hello. I doubt the common sneezing at 24 hours post procedure would dislodge your grafts. The body acts as glue & the grafts are held into the scalp with the tiny blood scab.  Everything should be fine

Craig Barbieri, MD
Overland Park Phlebologist

Sneezing Shouldn't Dislodge Grafts

Sneezing in the post-operative period will not dislodge grafts. Since it is only one day following your procedure, your scalp is still swollen and sore, and sneezing (or coughing) may increase the pressure causing some discomfort, but will not harm the transplanted grafts. Grafts are permanently in place and cannot be dislodged at 10 days after your procedure.

Michael Wolfeld, MD

Unlikely

If the transplant was performed well with the proper  placement of the grafts it is unlikely a sneeze would dislodge the grafts. We have one of the largest experiences in the world with the ARTAS system and never experienced this problem

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD, FACS

Sneezes after an ARTAS hair transplant

It's unlikely a few sneezes will cause harm. But if it did you'd know because the graft would pop and bleeding would ensure. It's extremely unlikely there is any concern. 

However, repeated coughing  early on post op has a greater potential to disrupt grafts. A few sneezes does not.

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist

Sneezing after FUE

You should be fine.  It would be unlikely that a sneeze would dislodge any grafts. The best is to let the sneeze out from your mouth as to not increase pressure.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon