Still have stubble 10 months post ARTAS FUE Hair Transplant. Might it grow?

Had 2,400 grafts in Oct to crown, temples and forelock. Most grafts did not shed and grew slightly in the first month. No significant growth around month 6. Still have many stubble like hairs in the recipient areas, especially the crown. Some of those in the forelock have started growing over past 2 weeks. What are chances more may still grow? Overall, I am happy with results. At 6 month follow-up, surgeon stated I could see results improve up to 18 months.

Stubble 10 months following an ARTAS FUE procedure?

Dear db70,

Thank you for posting the question.  It is true: sometimes follicles can be dormant for up to 18 months prior to growing and forming a nice terminal hair in the recipient site.  However, these follicles typically shed out in the weeks following a hair restoration procedure and when the new hair sprouts, it typically does not remain at the same length for months on end.  

What I have discovered in performing exclusively hair restoration surgery for well over a decade is that occasionally hairs can die if outside of the body too long.  This is more a reflection of the talent, experience, and dedication of the technical staff that assists with procedures, especially in ARTAS cases, due to the inherent limitations of speed with the ARTAS robot.  The simple fact is that if the techs are not careful with the follicles, or the surgical team is not proficient and the follicles stay outside the body for more than about 5 hours, or if the technicians allow the grafts to warm up, or if the grafts are allowed to dry out, they can literally die prior to implantation.  In those cases where the grafts are outside the body too long, the grafts warm up, are not handled properly with the proper instruments, or allowed to dry out, the grafts simply die.  Then, when implanted, it's literally a dead piece of tissue being implanted into your skin.  Since it came from your body, it can tend not to be rejected as much as, say, a wood sliver, and the body can tolerate it and just sort of wall it off from the rest of the skin.  In this way, the graft will just sit there indefinitely and appear as stubble and never actually grow because it did not make it through the transplantation process; it's simply a piece of dead hair lodged in your scalp.  I am not saying that this is the case with you specifically, but I have seen this issue with patients of other physicians I have seen in consultation as a second opinion months after a transplant where the hairs are there but simply do not grow at all.

This is a very good example of why it's important to ask your hair restoration surgeon about the experience, dedication and talent of the technicians who will be handling your grafts.  A red-flag is if they are not (a) full-time staff, and (b) full-time technicians.  Being a hair restoration technician is very difficult, and someone who does it part-time, or just learned and doesn't have a lot of experience, is simply not going to provide optimal results.  Merely putting on medical scrubs does not make one a medical talent.  It takes years of dedicated experience at a busy practice to become proficient.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Stubble after Artas

Nothing you can do but wait and see if the grafts grow.  Sometimes it can take up to 18 months to get full results. Please update us

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Stubble still present at 10 months, will it still grow?

db70,It all depends on the post-op course. The prognosis of the transplant is not good if the transplanted hair have remained in place without growth since the transplant over 6 months ago. This is in contrast to transplanted hair remaining without shedding but commencing growth from the very first week. Normal growth is 1mm very 3 days. Please see the link below for further information.
Sincerely,
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Growth cycle

be patient, I've had patients that haven't realized full results until nearly 18 months. The full result is often realized later when the hair doesn't shed immediately post op but begins to grow. The growth cycle can be pushed out a few months when the shedding doesn't occur. I recommend visiting with your doctor and reviewing the result. Also, remember that native density can not be realized with one treatment. You may desire a second procedure.

Craig Barbieri, MD
Overland Park Phlebologist

Growth After a Hair Transplant is Variable, Up to 18mo or 2 Years

In general, one expects to see most of the growth from a hair transplant after 12 months, but may be some additional growth up to 18 months or even two years. Usually subsequent procedures take a bit longer to grow in. With an FUE procedure, this timeline may also be extended. It is reasonable to wait until 18 months and to re-assess your growth pattern at that time. It would be advisable to follow up with your physician at this time for an evaluation.

Yes you should see improvement over next few months

Typically one sees hair growing from 4 months but improvement will be expected until 12 months. We have very good experience with the PRP treatment at the time of the transplant -usually hair grows faster and thicker I routinely use it during the procedure

10 months after Artas

I see this in some patients.  The hair can grow even after one year.  The hair follicles are there,  however they are in telogen. I find using rogain and some times add topical melatonin. This combination is very powerful in induction of anagen, or growth, phase. 

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair transplants take 12 months

For the vast, vast majority of patients final results are evident at 12 months.

Significant changes should be present by 6 months, but for most patients there should be a ways to go.

Hair growth after transplant

most of the hairs that are transplanted start to grow in at the nine to twelve months period.  It is possible to get hair growth for up to 18 month after the procedure.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

You will see results in 6 to 12 months. Sometimes it may take longer.

You will see results in 6 to 12 months. Sometimes it may take longer.  If you only have stubbles and it has not grown any in the last several months, something is not right.  Those stubbles may be your old transplanted hairs that have not fallen or slid out.  New hairs may be growing around them.  You would need an exam.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon