Is it actually harmful to not rinse or wash recipient area say for as long as 5 to 7 days post transplant? (Photo)

It took 7 hours to harvest via ARTAS 2200 grafts from me being degree 6 bald guy. Implanting took 4 hours. Is it harmful to not rinse or wash recipient hair 4 , 5 , 7, 10 days after robotic transplant. Lower right small mucoid area from hitting head on car door. You know I am clumsy so I think it is better to not to rinse or wash recipient area for 7 days.

Washing grafts after an ARTAS procedure?

Dear jhkansas,

Post-operative regimens are important to follow as they can most definitely affect graft survival. Your surgeon should have provided you with a lengthy post-operative care package of information and day-by-day instructions, irrigation solutions, wound ointment, gauze, etc. I would follow the directions as provided by your surgeon. At my office I have our patients start to irrigate their grafts on the evening of surgery with a solution consisting of lactated ringer’s solution with liposomal ATP added to it. Bioenhanced hair restoration has arrived. This solution helps to feed the grafts in the days following surgery as the follicles receive their new blood supply from the scalp. The patients irrigate their grafts frequently following the surgery, and this helps to wash away serum and scabs so that your grafts can heal without the burden of a scab over top impairing healing. Bottom line is that it’s helpful to rinse your grafts often following your procedure with solutions that help the new hairs take root in their new location. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Rinsing recipient area post hair transplant

In our practice, patients are instructed to start showering and gently washing the recipient area the day after the surgery. The first day after surgery the patient will shower three times, and for the remainder of the week, showering will be twice daily.  When showering, patients can clean the transplanted area with a special medicated shampoo that is gentle on grafts.  The follicular unit grafts are made to fit snugly into the recipient sites and will not be dislodged in the shower, as long as the patient is washing gently.  The purpose of showering the day after the procedure is to remove scabs and dried blood to allow improved graft healing.

Washing after FUE

I recommend patients wash twice a day after FUE procedures for 2 weeks.  I wouldnt recommend not washing for 7 days post op however its best to discuss with your surgeon.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crusting after ARTAS FUE hair transplant

The after care of an ARTAS hair transplant is the same as any other hair transplant. It is important to keep area clean and free from crusting. Crusting can compromise the growth of the hair transplant.This crust results from babying the recipient area too much after a hair transplant. We recommend shampooing at least once per day and even twice per day if there is oozing. This is done in a gentle manner lathering the donor area and applying the suds gently to the transplanted area. Always use a gentle up and down motion but no rubbing or side motion as this can dislodge the grafts. . Please check with your Doctor. Hope this helps.

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post operative care for any FUE transplant

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing,.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Important to wash the area after Artas fue transplantation

Post op, it's important to keep the area clean.  If you do not rinse the area,  the scales will build up and form an adherent crust. 

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

It is best you see your doctor for an exam if you are having issues after surgery instead of seeking help on the Internet.

It is best you see your doctor for an exam if you are having issues after surgery instead of seeking help on the Internet.  Post operative care or washing instructions should be followed based on what your doctor recommends.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Washing the recipient area

Check with your surgeon. In general, most surgeons recommend daily washing. Dried blood crusts, scabs, serum need to come off. 

Post op care after hair transplant

Most hair restoration specialist provide a post op care that needs to be followed. It is advisable to start to cleanse afterr a couple of days and follow the post op care regiment.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post hair transplant scalp care regimes

Every hair transplant surgeon will have a preferred post op scalp care regime. If you have had an ARTAS robot assisted procedure, which is extremely sophisticated, then I would have thought you would have been supplied with instructions on how to look after your scalp. You should follow the instructions given to you by your surgeon or he/she may not feel responsible for the outcome of your surgery. I hope you get the outcome you were hoping for!

Greg Williams, FRCS (Plast)
London Hair Restoration Surgeon