When Will I See the Final Result of a Macs Face Lift? (photo)

Had a macs face lift six weeks ago. I had a good recovery as I am healthy and a non smoker.i researched and chose a well reputed surgeon.I am concerned as my jaw line has a dip above and my smile is crooked. In certain lighting I look very hard and not pleasant.I was told that things will settle with time .i am very worried that I will not see my familiar self due to my crooked smile.

MACS Facelift Results Improve With Time

The MACS Facelift, while less invasive that other types of facelift procedures in some cases can lead to prolonged swelling.  The sutures used to tighten and suspend the tissues can cause prolonged swelling and contour irregularites in some situations.  Patients don't always swell symmetrically either.  This can be very disconcerting to patients in the early postop period.  The good news is that the vast majority of this swelling and asymmetry resolves quite nicely.  From the photos shared, there is some indication that you are progressing quite nicely and will have an excellent result.  Based on the photos, I would not be alarmed, but a specific discussion with your surgeon about your concerns always helps!  Best of luck!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Seeing the Final Results of a Facelift

The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. #Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). When the skin is separated from the underlying tissues during surgery, small sensory #nerves are cut. Varying degrees of numbness will be present after surgery and will improve gradually as the nerves reconnect to the skin. This process can take from 2-6 months for face, neck and cheeks, and to 9-12 months for the forehead and scalp. Muscle weakness may also be present around the mouth especially if liposuction is used. This typically recovers fully in the months after surgery. 

As the nerves regenerate, the itching, burning, tingling and shooting #sensations will occur. Ice, moisturizers and gentle #massaging are helpful during this phase of the #healing process. Frequently there is a tight feeling in the neck, jawline and cheek after a facelift. During surgery, not only the skin but the underlying muscles are tightened to create a better and longer lasting result. Additionally, the #swelling will move downward in the first week and the neck will feel even tighter. Do not be alarmed: the sensation will decrease during the first month. 

Some degree of firmness or lumpiness under the skin is normal after surgery and will resolve with time. Local #massage of the areas may accelerate the resolution of this problem, which normally takes 2-4 months to disappear completely.
The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply. The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Postoperative patience

You are still in the relatively early healing stages after your surgery.  Swelling persists and can effect symmetry and even muscle and nerve function in some people for up to 3 or even rarely 6 months.  Try and be patient and as the healing continues, I bet you will see a very nice outcome.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

MACS Facelift and Recovery

There are variations of a MACS lift with different suturing techniques, etc.  These will factor into the swelling and healing process as well.  In general, at 3 weeks you should notice a marked reduction in swelling.  However, to observe final results and evening of tissues and softening you may need 6 months or more.

It takes several months for the final facelift result

You are a bit too early to be concerned. MACS and other forms of mini or full facelifts takes several months to achieve your final result. By 3 months in many you begin to appreciate your final result but in others it takes longer. Most important are regular follow-p visits with your plastic surgeon who can guide you.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Facelift Post Op Settling

Your result will become more apparent with time.  Your results may even be better now with your current pictures but can not tell because there are no pictures at 2 weeks or pre op.  Continue to see you PS on your scheduled follow up appointments.

Dr. ES

Results after MACS facelift

The tightness from sutures used in the MACS facelift usually lasts for three months and then results do settle and balance out. The technique is a very good one and you too should have a great result.