When can you resume gently sex after tummy tuck?

I am 2 weeks out of my tummy tuck. Granted my tummy tuck was not one that removed large amounts of skin. I was in good physical shape prior to my surgery. I have been off of all pain pills since the first week and only took 1/2 a pill at a time every 6 to 8 hours. I get up and around very well. Very anxious and ready to get out of this house but don't want to overdo. Just thinking that if we were gentle surely some safe sex couldn't hurt?

Sex after Tummy Tuck

Thank you for bringing the subject up!  Your question reminds me of the old adage "when there is a will there is a way"  You seem to be experiencing a recovery that is ahead of schedule so you really must be in good shape.  This also explains why you are thinking about sex already.  I'm here to tell you that this is highly unusual.  I think that you and your partner can safely engage in intercourse at this point provided that you are careful in your maneuvering and that you stop if anything hurts. It is conceivable that you can cause damage to your fresh surgery if you are not careful because your scars have not even formed yet.  The tensile strenght of this very early scar is minimal and everything is relying on your sutures to keep it together.  The sutures can certainly fail if you challenge them at this stage.  Sex can take many shapes and forms so satisfaction can be obtained without having to be acrobatic, choose a comfortable position… Dr Brou   

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Intercourse after TummyTuck

Thank you for your question. It is important to realize that the amount of time it takes for recovery varies greatly among individuals. Depending on the extent of your abdominoplasty and your general physical condition. Any sexual activity should be avoided for a minimum of two weeks.Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Sex after Surgery

This largely depends on how extensive your procedure was. Always best to check with your plastic surgeon for the best advice. I generally allow most of my tt patients to have sex after six weeks with the woman in the top position so she is in control to make it less likely for an injury to occur.

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specific information/advice. He/she knows exactly what was done and how you are progressing. Concerns would include an increase in heart rate and the potential for bleeding.  Muscle spasm may be painful. Obviously, significant pressure on the surgical site is not a good idea either. It is not uncommon for patients to report increased swelling that occurs after vigorous exercise (including sexual activity),  even several months after tummy tuck surgery.

Sex after tummy tuck

Glad to hear that you are doing so well after your surgery! I usually ask my patients to wait at least 4 weeks for light exercise (gentle sex) and 6 weeks for more vigorous exercise. Please check with your plastic surgeon as each surgeon has different post-operative instruction/recommendation.

Sex after TT

Hi Tonya, the key word as mentioned by you is GENTLE. At 2 weeks, I usually tell my patients to keep this in mind.No over enthusiasm towards any exercise. If your wounds are healing well, you are up and about, and you are tapering off painkillers, it should be ok. Have a safe recovery.

Sex after a tummy tuck

I consider sex exercise and therefore I let my patients exercise after 2 weeks, so sex can usually resume after that same time frame.