What's the Best Lip Enhancement and Plumping?

What options do I have for lip augmentation?

Best options for lip augmentation

For patients interested in fuller, more pronounced lips, I would recommend hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane.  I usually perform this in the office under local anesthesia.  The length of time these fillers last is variable, roughly 6-8 months.  These fillers really have minimal side effects and your surgeon can fine tune the result to the look you want.  The result is usually immediate, but as the hyaluronic acid pulls in water, you can detect a slightly fuller look over the next 3-4 days.  If you don't like the result, you have a day or so to massage the HA and dissipate the result.  If massaging does not't get rid of the HA, there is an enzyme called hyaluronidase that can be injected by your surgeon to break down and dissolve the HA.  Patients who desire a more permanent lip augmentation can have autologous fat grafting.  Despite the fact that only about 40-50% percent of the fat is retained after 6 months, the 50% that stays is permanent.  You may need several injections to get the permanent lip augmentation look you want.  I have also used Alloderm in the lips with good long-term results.  If you are interested in lip augmentation, I would always recommend a patient use a temporary filler like Restylane before using something more permanent to ensure the patient likes the appearance of fuller lips.

Glendale Plastic Surgeon

Best Lip Augmentation Options

The best Lip Augmentation dermal fillers available on the market today are the hyaluronic acid ones, such as Restylane, Juvederm, Teosyal Kiss and Volbella. Depending on the price point you are wanting to pay and the longevity of the results, you can choose which one you would prefer. We typically recommend Teosyal Kiss and Volbella for best results that plump the lips nicely and also give longer lasting results. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip tuck

The options for lip enhancement and plumping include fillers, such as hyaluronic acid products; your own fat as a graft; or surgical procedures to increase the volume and shape of both the upper and lower lips.  Each option has its advantages and disadvantages:  Fillers work, are quick and simple, with virtually no recovery, and results are good, but the filler may be evident to the touch (as in kissing) and appearance (with animation), AND they do not last.  Three to six months in the lips (because of constant motion in the tissues) is typical.  Your own fat is more natural to touch and appearance than fillers, and once it "takes" it is permanent, but the "take," or survival of the fat grafts (taken from the abdomen or thighs usually) is uncertain, and several sessions may be necessary for the volume to be adequate.  The Lip Tuck surgery allows for a more precise shape and volume of the lips to be achieved, and many modifications are possible in both the upper and lower lips.  The wrinkle lines around the lips are also significantly reduced best with the lip tuck.  The results are permanent and can be dramatic (although very natural), but it is surgery, and requires some recovery, with swelling and bruising for several days.  The scars are hidden and virtually invisible, and it can easily be done with local anesthesia.

Michael F. McGuire, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Microdroplet Silikon-1000 injections may be well suited for permanent, natural looking lip augmentation.

In our practice, we may offer Silikon-1000 for lip augmentation. This is an off-label filler for permanent results. Several treatments may be necessary for a desired result. The familiarity of your doctor with the proper injection technique is critical when considering lip augmentation with injectable silicone.
Hope this helps.
Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Choices for Lip Augmentation

Restylane® Silk is expected to last 6 months up to 1 year, however this will vary from patient to patient. Juvaderm Ultra and Utlra Plus are also great options for lip augmentation that lasts 9-12 months on most patient.
Some studies show a collagen stimulatory effect that may allow longer lasting in certain individuals.

Restylane Silk is unique by its silky formulation of hyaluronic acid that will allow a subtle enhancement of lips and lip lines SILK allows a skilled provider to precisely shape and define lips for a natural effect.

#lipfillerchoices   #RestylaneSilk  #Juvedermforlips

Prevelle Silk: The First Hyaluronic Acid Filler with Anesthetic in the US

I have been fortunate to use Prevelle Silk hyaluronic acid filler with lidocaine on a few of my patients. It is the first FDA approved hyaluronic acid filler available in the United States. The word "silk" aptly describes the product as it flows and fills very smoothly.

It is too early for me to judge how long it will last, but if it lasts as long or longer than Restylane and Juvederm, this "new kid on the block" will rapidly become the most popular hyaluronic acid filler.

Patients have been very pleased with the comfort of injection, and I appreciate not having to use dental blocks to fill the lips.

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm or Restylane

Juvederm or Restylane

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

I prefer the hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane or...

I prefer the hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane or Juvederm Ultra for lip enhancement. I think they provide a soft, aesthetically pleasing lip augmentation.

Although this is an off-label use of these products, it is becoming more and more common. The benefit is that the HA fillers fade away with time, and do not cause as much tissue distortion of the lips as some of the permanent lip implants like Gore-Tex or silicone do.

Options for lip augmentation

There are numerous options for lip enhancement or augmentation.

The most common methods involve the use of injectable fillers, particularly the hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm Ultra Plus or Restylane Silk.  My current personal preference is to use Juvederm Ultra Plus for increasing volume (plumping the lip) and Restylane Silk for improving definition of the edge (vermillion border) of the lip.  There are many other injectable fillers that are similar and can also work very well.

Other options would include synthetic implants (made of various different materials) or using your own tissue (either fat grafting or other tissue such as a SMAS graft).  I generally advocate that patients start with injectable hyaluronic acid fillers as these are simple to perform and relatively easy to reverse if needed.  The exception would be the patient undergoing facial rejuvenation with a face lift.  These patients often have SMAS tissue available for transplant to the lips, and this tissue is only available at the time of the lift.  This is a highly effective technique with natural results and minimal risk for complications.

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

Greetings! Lip augmentation is one of the most popular services that patients request. The key to lip augmentation is the concept of "less is more". The days of overfilled lips are over! There are several different fillers on the market that work really well to give the most natural looking results. One of the newest lip augmentation fillers on the market is Allergan's Volbella XC. Utilizing Allergan's patented VYCROSS technology, the results are natural and long lasting. Of course there are other great fillers that are used like Restylane Silk, Juverderm Ultra XC, Restylane, Belotero, etc. My advice would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon in your area that has expertise in performing lip augmentation. 

Best of luck to you!

David Goldberg, MD