What's the Best Lip Enhancement and Plumping?

What options do I have for lip augmentation?

Best options for lip augmentation

For patients interested in fuller, more pronounced lips, I would recommend hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane.  I usually perform this in the office under local anesthesia.  The length of time these fillers last is variable, roughly 6-8 months.  These fillers really have minimal side effects and your surgeon can fine tune the result to the look you want.  The result is usually immediate, but as the hyaluronic acid pulls in water, you can detect a slightly fuller look over the next 3-4 days.  If you don't like the result, you have a day or so to massage the HA and dissipate the result.  If massaging does not't get rid of the HA, there is an enzyme called hyaluronidase that can be injected by your surgeon to break down and dissolve the HA.  Patients who desire a more permanent lip augmentation can have autologous fat grafting.  Despite the fact that only about 40-50% percent of the fat is retained after 6 months, the 50% that stays is permanent.  You may need several injections to get the permanent lip augmentation look you want.  I have also used Alloderm in the lips with good long-term results.  If you are interested in lip augmentation, I would always recommend a patient use a temporary filler like Restylane before using something more permanent to ensure the patient likes the appearance of fuller lips.

Glendale Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation options

There are many permanent options for lip augmentation people who undergo these procedures are thrilled with their results. The liplift surgery is permanent as is the Permalip silicone implant. As far as less permanet results, the fillers and fat injections look great but require continuous treatments.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Prevelle Silk: The First Hyaluronic Acid Filler with Anesthetic in the US

I have been fortunate to use Prevelle Silk hyaluronic acid filler with lidocaine on a few of my patients. It is the first FDA approved hyaluronic acid filler available in the United States. The word "silk" aptly describes the product as it flows and fills very smoothly.

It is too early for me to judge how long it will last, but if it lasts as long or longer than Restylane and Juvederm, this "new kid on the block" will rapidly become the most popular hyaluronic acid filler.

Patients have been very pleased with the comfort of injection, and I appreciate not having to use dental blocks to fill the lips.

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm or Restylane

Juvederm or Restylane

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

I prefer the hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane or...

I prefer the hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane or Juvederm Ultra for lip enhancement. I think they provide a soft, aesthetically pleasing lip augmentation.

Although this is an off-label use of these products, it is becoming more and more common. The benefit is that the HA fillers fade away with time, and do not cause as much tissue distortion of the lips as some of the permanent lip implants like Gore-Tex or silicone do.

There are a couple to look at. Non Surgical and Surgical

Thanks for your question.

Firstly - Voluminous lips are more sought after than ever before. Non-surgical cosmetic procedures such as lip filler injections have proved an effective way to provide a more puckered look. Although some lip fillers are permanent or very long lasting, most patients and practitioners prefer temporary lip enhancement through dermal lip injections which are effective for nearly a year.

Permalip™ are revolutionary lip implants that are designed to look and fell natural, yet enhance your lip volume to your desired size. It does not deflate, degrade or rupture over time. Although it’s permanent, it is designed for the ease of placement if a patient wishes to achieve a larger or smaller enhancement or even return to the lips original appearance. It does not limit lip movement and provides a natural look.

Good Luck with you research and check out our website below for any more information you need.

Best product for Lip enhancement

With all the available products in the market it can be difficult to select.

Restylane and Juvaderm have been in the market the longest and are preferred product by many patients.
They give a good lift and plumping and the swelling is manageable.
I tend to recommend Juvaderm for younger patients with full lips.

Restylane silk and Belotero are newer fillers that I recommend for the lips. 
I tend to recommend this for patients with thinner lips, or patients that are very concerned about swelling after the injection.

Consult with your injector to get suggestion on which will be the best product for you.

Good luck!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Otolaryngologist

HA fillers are great for lip enhancement

One of the most popular and convenient ways to enhance the lips is through the use of soft tissue fillers. In this area, the best products to use are Juvederm, Restylane Silk, and Belotero. Each of these products have their own unique characteristics and the selection is based on your own unique features and goals. Products to avoid in the lips include Radiesse, Sculptra, and Voluma. Best to consult with a reputable cosmetic dermatologist for a treatment tailored specifically to you. Good luck!

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Best Lip Augmentation Options

The best Lip Augmentation dermal fillers available on the market today are the hyaluronic acid ones, such as Restylane, Juvederm, Teosyal Kiss and Volbella. Depending on the price point you are wanting to pay and the longevity of the results, you can choose which one you would prefer. We typically recommend Teosyal Kiss and Volbella for best results that plump the lips nicely and also give longer lasting results. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

The "best filler" is individualized for each patient

Patients who desire fuller lips have several options for lip augmentation. The "best filler" is individualized for each patient.
1. If you want a filler that gives immediate fullness, takes a few minutes to inject, and will last approximately 9-12 months, the hyaluronic acid fillers, like Juverdrm XC is the best filler.
2. If you want a filler that gives immediate fullness, takes approximately 30 minutes to
perform, and lasts approximately 2-5 years, your own fat is the best filler. In a quick office procedure, your fat is harvested from a "problem area" and injected into the lips.
3. If you want permanent fullness, in a short in office procedure, the PermaFacial lip implant is the best filler. This is a silicone implant that is available in several widths and lengths, that is inserted along the pink portion of the lips to give a naturally full look to the lips.

Christine A. Stiles, MD