How Long Until Restylane Bumps on Lip Smooth Out?

Had my upper lip boosted with restylane 3 days ago. I'm happy with the shape and size. However, I can still feel significant bumps on my inner upper lip where the doc injected. I was told they would smooth within 3 to 4 days....they are not smoothing out as of yet. Anyone have exp with this? I'm hoping they go away soon! Also, is fat transfer to the lip a good way to go?? I'm testing resty to see if i might do something more permanent. Thanks!!

Bumps in Lips After Augmentation with Restylane

Restylane is the one hyaluronic acid filler that is indicated for lip augmentation and it is a great product. Anytime you inject a product into the lips you run the risk of developing small lumps, and most of the time it is just local swelling. This is a common occurence and the lumps do usually smoothen out within a week or so. In some occassions they can remain and I often tell my patients to gently massage the area. If it is not noticeable, I would not worry about it. If you are concerned, I would recommend to follow up with your physician. The good news about these fillers is that they can be dissolved if there is a complication, and this is something to consider when thinking about permanent solutions.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip swelling after Restylane or Juvederm is to be expected and temporary

Both Restylane and Juvederm are fillers that are made of hyaluronic acid fillers, known as humectant, meaning that tendency to draw water/hydration to the area of injection. In another words, hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm work, at least partially by plumping the skin via hydration. Therefore swelling after lip augmentation is to be expected but should subside in a week or two. For first timers, less is better. Natural lip augmentation can be achieved simply by accentuating the vermilion border.

Bumps after restylane

bumps like this can persist for a few weeks - sometimes its just swelling -

but if it is clumps of the product, it may need to be reversed - the way I avoid clumping is to inject with a blunt tipped non-bruising cannula and layer the product in strands and not boluses.

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bumps after restylane

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip Is Vascular

The lip has a very generous blood supply. This nourishment is what gives the lips its red-violet hue. Realize a needle has been stuck into this web of blood vessels, and it is not too hard to imagine that small hematomas ( clots and bruises) may ensue. They will not last.

Since three or four days have passed, it is too late for ice or cold compresses, but you might remember this for the next time. The usual advice to avoid Aspirin, advil, Vitamin E or gincko a week prior to injections, holds also. Ice, just before the injections may be of benefit since it causes vasoconstriction (the blood vessels narrow).

While most of these bruises will resolve in a few days, some can last up to two weeks. If they last longer than that, you should return to the physician who performed the injections.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Lip Is Vascular

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Lip swelling usually starts going down 2 weeks after Restylane

The swelling in the lips usually takes a while to go down. 3-4 days is on the early side. I usually wait for the first 2 weeks for the swelling to go down. During these first 2 weeks is when massage can really help dissipate the swelling. Enzyme injections are also another way of removing restylane, juvederm, perlane but they are more of a permanent removal of the restylane. If enzymes are injected during the first 2 weeks, this may be a mistake. The swelling that would normally go down the first 2 weeks will further go down more if enzymes are injected the first 2 weeks. Sometimes waiting at least 3 weeks is even better. One thing to remember is that restylane and other hyaluronic acid fillers can be shaped though and you shouldn't have to go through 6-9 months of a less than desirable result. Enzymes can help shape your results after 2-3 weeks.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat in the right places

I love micro droplet fat for the lips. I think it is natural and looks great. It also lasts the longest.

These lumps should improve. I would see your surgeon to discuss. We all have our own little tricks to treat this sort of an issue and this varies by injection technique.

Attached is a quick video on some of the benefits of facial fat transfer.

Hope this helps.

The Fat Guys.

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat in the right places

Hope this helps.

The Fat Guys.

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane

I have significant experience working with lip enhancers and they are a safe and effective treatment when applied by a trained professional. While it takes about 2 days for the swelling to go down, the results are long-lasting. Most clients need 1-2 syringes for a dramatic effect, but some require more. This depends on the amount of product you need to achieve your desired lip volume. Lip augmentation requires a great deal of precision and skill and can really alter the balance of your face when done poorly. If you have questions or concerns, it is recommended that you contact your provider as soon as possible! Best of luck!

Restylane

Restylane Bumps

This is not uncommon to experience after lip injections. It can take up to two weeks for the swelling to go down. If after a few weeks you still have the bumps you should see the doctor that performed the procedure.

Restylane Bumps

Restylane for Lip Augmentation and Bumps

Restylane is a great filler for injecting lips and gives a natural looking result.  The bumps can form but should go away in approximately one week.  However, if the bumps persist you can return to your treating dermatologist for hyaluronidase to dissolve  the bumps.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results who is experienced with lip augmentation. Best, Dr. Green

Restylane Bumps

Restylane has received FDA approval for lip enhancement, and is an excellent product in an experienced and expert injectors hands.  Bumps may last about a week to 10 days.  Light massage of the bumps may help. If after a week, the bumps have not gone down, then contact the physician for a recheck. 

Restylane Bumps