What Areas of the Face Can Botox Be Injected?

Where would Botox be best suited/safe/effective for a person who has wrinkles all over their face?

Experience counts in Botox injection technique

Botox is a safe medication administered for cosmetic improvement of wrinkles. In this particular case where you complain of diffuse wrinkling, you may not be a candidate for Botox as your skin may be photoaged. The proper treatment may be to improve skin resiliency and quality.

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging...

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging from the forehead to the frown lines between the eyes and the crows feet.

In my practice, I also use it on the lips (smokers lines) and occasionally on the chin area for people who tend to dimple their chins.

It is an incredibly useful tool and, in the right hands, can accentuate the eyes and make them look much more attractive. While most people out there do a limited amount of Botox, if you go to someone who is an expert, they will typically know how to do the other areas without side effects.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX Cosmetic is...

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA-approved for the treatment of glabella lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) and is also commonly used to prevent or treat horizontal lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.

Using my advanced knowledge of facial anatomy, I am also able to perform BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments into less common sites to create a mini-browlift, reduce lip lines, relax vertical neck muscle bands, or to aesthetically improve other features of the face.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox is best indicated for the forehead, crow's feet, and the glabells ("11 lines")

Botox is best and most often used for forehead wrinkles, crow's feet lines around the eyes, and the "11 lines" between the eyebrows. Botox has been safely used in these areas by many practitioners for many years, and I would say that the vast majority of experience has been in these 3 areas. There are other areas and uses for Botox also. including:

1. "Bunny lines" on the sides of the nose

2. Gummy smile reduction

3. Nasal flare reduction

4. Lifting up the corners of the mouth

5. Tightening the jawline (difficult to do, not as popular)

6. Lifting eyebrows

7. Decreasing the "orange peel" appearance of the chin

8. Lessening the appearance of neck bands

These are some of the other advanced uses of Botox and may be something worth trying if you have any of these issues since Botox is relatively cheap and completely reversible.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox for the Face

Thank you for your question.  If you have wrinkles that cover you entire face and have sun damaged skin you may benefit from CO2 laser resurfacing.  However, depending on the experience of your injector, Botox may be used for many areas of the face.  The common areas of use are the glabellar complex (11's), the brow, the forehead, and the crow's feet. Botox may also be injected in the following areas:

1. Lower lid -soften fine lines under the eye and to give the appearance of a more open eye
2. Nasalis - to reduce "Bunny Lines" (wrinkles on side of the nose)
3. Lateral Orbicularis Occuli - to provide for a slight brow lift
4. Depressor Septi Nasi - to raise the tip of the nose
5. Lip Elevator Muscle - to reduce a gummy smile
6. Depressor Anguli Oris - to lift the corners of the mouth
7. Mentalis - to reduce the golf ball chin
8. Masseter - to reduce a strong jawline
9. Platysmal Bands - to reduce the lines/bands in the neck

These are advanced techniques and can provide for amazing results when injected properly. These injections need to be done by an experienced physician injector to achieve optimal results. Botox Cosmetic has been used for many years and is considered to be very safe.  I hope this information was helpful!

Best Regards,
Dr. John Serrao  

E. John Serrao, MD
Orlando OB/GYN

Where can you use Botox

I like Botox for the upper face and think it does very well.  Common locations are between the eyebrows, in the forehead and in "Crow's Feet".  Less commonly injected areas include the DOA (depressor anguli oris- a muscle that causes you to frown) and in bands in the neck.  I am not a fan of Botox in the wrinkles around the mouth.  When people have had this they often look like they've had a stroke.  Botox is an excellent medication and can do things that surgery can not.  However, Botox is not a replacement for a facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty or skin resurfacing.  Be careful that the person who does your Botox does the other procedures as well or they may be just taking your money for minimal or no benefit.  Remember that for the person with one hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  Make sure they have more than "one" hammer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for newbies

Botox, is a great drug, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as a wrinkle eraser. If you are a Botox virgin, I would recommend most strongly to choose an experienced qualified injector. He or she will be able to assess your face and discuss your options in details. It is usually more important to assess what you want to improve, and then decide what you will use to achieve this improvement.

In general, however, Botox works great for improvement of vertical lines between the eyebrows, forehead lines, and crows feet area. Other applications are more advanced, and your physician will discuss whether you might benefit from them.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

The many uses of Botox Cosmetic

Botox is an extremely versatile injectable treatment. It is the most commonly performed injectable cosmetic treatment in the U.S. In experienced hands, it can be used for the following:

1. Frown lines (lines between the eyebrows)

2. Forehead lines

3. Crow's feet (lines at the corners of the eyes)

4. Vertical lip lines (i.e. smoker's lines, lipstick lines)

5. Masseter hypertrophy and lower face slimming

6. Chin (chin dimpling, cobblestoning)

7. Downturned corners of mouth

8. Jawline definition (Nefertiti Lift)

9. Neck lines (platysmal bands)

10. Bunny lines (lines along the sides of the nose)

11. Gummy smile

I hope this helps and thanks for the great question. 

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

What Areas of the Face Can Be Injected?

Anti-wrinkle injections are most commonly used for the treatment of frown lines, forehead lines and crows feet (lines at the sides of the eyes). It can also be used to produce a brow lift by shaping or elevating the position of the brow.

Eddy Dona, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Where to put BOTOX?

Thanks for your question. BOTOX is a neurotoxin that blocks the muscles that form lines and wrinkles when used repetitively.  It is commonly used for the lines between the brows and the crow's feet. It is also used for the forehead and the small horizontal crease across the bridge of the nose. There are other areas it can be placed by a skilled injector. However, iff you are wishing to treat facial wrinkles, you may be a candidate for dermal fillers, which will fill and smooth wrinkles and folds in the face. Good luck to you.

Janet Turkle, MD