What Areas of the Face Can Botox Be Injected?

Where would Botox be best suited/safe/effective for a person who has wrinkles all over their face?

Experience counts in Botox injection technique

Botox is a safe medication administered for cosmetic improvement of wrinkles. In this particular case where you complain of diffuse wrinkling, you may not be a candidate for Botox as your skin may be photoaged. The proper treatment may be to improve skin resiliency and quality.

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX Cosmetic is...

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA-approved for the treatment of glabella lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) and is also commonly used to prevent or treat horizontal lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.

Using my advanced knowledge of facial anatomy, I am also able to perform BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments into less common sites to create a mini-browlift, reduce lip lines, relax vertical neck muscle bands, or to aesthetically improve other features of the face.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox is best indicated for the forehead, crow's feet, and the glabells ("11 lines")

Botox is best and most often used for forehead wrinkles, crow's feet lines around the eyes, and the "11 lines" between the eyebrows. Botox has been safely used in these areas by many practitioners for many years, and I would say that the vast majority of experience has been in these 3 areas. There are other areas and uses for Botox also. including:

1. "Bunny lines" on the sides of the nose

2. Gummy smile reduction

3. Nasal flare reduction

4. Lifting up the corners of the mouth

5. Tightening the jawline (difficult to do, not as popular)

6. Lifting eyebrows

7. Decreasing the "orange peel" appearance of the chin

8. Lessening the appearance of neck bands

These are some of the other advanced uses of Botox and may be something worth trying if you have any of these issues since Botox is relatively cheap and completely reversible.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging...

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging from the forehead to the frown lines between the eyes and the crows feet.

In my practice, I also use it on the lips (smokers lines) and occasionally on the chin area for people who tend to dimple their chins.

It is an incredibly useful tool and, in the right hands, can accentuate the eyes and make them look much more attractive. While most people out there do a limited amount of Botox, if you go to someone who is an expert, they will typically know how to do the other areas without side effects.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for the Face

Thank you for your question.  If you have wrinkles that cover you entire face and have sun damaged skin you may benefit from CO2 laser resurfacing.  However, depending on the experience of your injector, Botox may be used for many areas of the face.  The common areas of use are the glabellar complex (11's), the brow, the forehead, and the crow's feet. Botox may also be injected in the following areas:

1. Lower lid -soften fine lines under the eye and to give the appearance of a more open eye
2. Nasalis - to reduce "Bunny Lines" (wrinkles on side of the nose)
3. Lateral Orbicularis Occuli - to provide for a slight brow lift
4. Depressor Septi Nasi - to raise the tip of the nose
5. Lip Elevator Muscle - to reduce a gummy smile
6. Depressor Anguli Oris - to lift the corners of the mouth
7. Mentalis - to reduce the golf ball chin
8. Masseter - to reduce a strong jawline
9. Platysmal Bands - to reduce the lines/bands in the neck

These are advanced techniques and can provide for amazing results when injected properly. These injections need to be done by an experienced physician injector to achieve optimal results. Botox Cosmetic has been used for many years and is considered to be very safe.  I hope this information was helpful!

Best Regards,
Dr. John Serrao  

Where can you use Botox

I like Botox for the upper face and think it does very well.  Common locations are between the eyebrows, in the forehead and in "Crow's Feet".  Less commonly injected areas include the DOA (depressor anguli oris- a muscle that causes you to frown) and in bands in the neck.  I am not a fan of Botox in the wrinkles around the mouth.  When people have had this they often look like they've had a stroke.  Botox is an excellent medication and can do things that surgery can not.  However, Botox is not a replacement for a facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty or skin resurfacing.  Be careful that the person who does your Botox does the other procedures as well or they may be just taking your money for minimal or no benefit.  Remember that for the person with one hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  Make sure they have more than "one" hammer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for newbies

Botox, is a great drug, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as a wrinkle eraser. If you are a Botox virgin, I would recommend most strongly to choose an experienced qualified injector. He or she will be able to assess your face and discuss your options in details. It is usually more important to assess what you want to improve, and then decide what you will use to achieve this improvement.

In general, however, Botox works great for improvement of vertical lines between the eyebrows, forehead lines, and crows feet area. Other applications are more advanced, and your physician will discuss whether you might benefit from them.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Wrinkles all over

Botox won't fix "wrinkles all over." If wrinkles are significant and affect all parts of face, would suggest a multi-pronged approach. Botox doesn't treat every wrinkle. The treatment could be anything from laser to filler to surgery. 
In general botox is best for frown wrinkles, around eyes and forehead.

Botox can be injected in many areas of the face

Botox is most commonly injected into the forehead lines, frown lines between the eyebrows, and crow’s feet at the corner of the eyes. It works by relaxing the muscles that cause the wrinkles to form in the first place, and works very well to reduce and even eliminate wrinkles in these three areas. Other areas Botox can be used are in the masseter muscle to slim the jawline, the “bunny lines” at the bridge of the nose, and to reduce a gummy smile. Botox should not be used to try to reduce marionette lines or nasolabial folds; these wrinkles are due to volume loss rather than muscle movement and are best treated with fillers. Please see a board-certified facial plastic surgeon for a consultation to come up with a treatment plan customized for your concerns.

Botox can be injected...

For the most part Botox is for the upper face.  It's for the wrinkles around the eyes and forehead.  There are many exceptions to this but they are less common and really vary whether you'll get a good result from these areas or not.  They include the corners of the mouth, the lip lines, etc.  The most common place people would like to see wrinkles improved that botox really doesn't help much is in the cheeks or jowl area.  Because botox only works by relaxing the underlying muscle that is what defines what wrinkles will benefit or not.  

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician