What Areas of the Face Can Botox Be Injected?

Where would Botox be best suited/safe/effective for a person who has wrinkles all over their face?

Where on the face can Botox be injected?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Botox is most often injected into the upper part of the face. Most commonly, it is used to perform a modest "chemical brow lift" or to treat unwanted wrinkles caused by repetitive movement including frown lines, forehead lines, bunny lines, and crow's feet.  In the lower face, Botox is used to treat certain dimples and depressions on the chin, to minimize the appearance of vertical lines and wrinkles around the mouth, and to elevate a down turned corner-of-the-mouth. In the neck, Botox is typically used to reduce prominent platysma bands (neck cords).

Although Botox has many wonderful applications it is not a cure-all treatment and its use in certain parts of the face carries a slightly greater risk of complication. As always, safe and effective treatment is best in the hands of a qualified, experienced, and dedicated aesthetic physician.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Experience counts in Botox injection technique

Botox is a safe medication administered for cosmetic improvement of wrinkles. In this particular case where you complain of diffuse wrinkling, you may not be a candidate for Botox as your skin may be photoaged. The proper treatment may be to improve skin resiliency and quality.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging...

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging from the forehead to the frown lines between the eyes and the crows feet.

In my practice, I also use it on the lips (smokers lines) and occasionally on the chin area for people who tend to dimple their chins.

It is an incredibly useful tool and, in the right hands, can accentuate the eyes and make them look much more attractive. While most people out there do a limited amount of Botox, if you go to someone who is an expert, they will typically know how to do the other areas without side effects.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Ten Advanced Areas Botox Can Treat on the Face and Neck

Although Botox is commonly used to inject the horizontal lines on the forehead, the vertical frown lines between the eyebrows, and lines around the eyes (crow's feet), our practice also offers the following more advanced treatments using Botox:

1) Smoker's lines (soften lines around the mouth)

2) Eyebrow lift (help raise the corner of the eyebrows) 

3) Bunny lines (soften lines on the side of the nose)

4) Peachpit Chin (reduce dimpling of the chin)

5) Downturned smile (to help elevate the corners of the mouth to reduce marionette lines)

6) Lower Face Reshaping/Slimming (to help create a thinner lower lower face/jawline)

7) Vertical Neck Bands (to help soften the neck/platysma bands)

8) Raising the Nasal tip (to help bring up the nasal tip when smiling)

9) Reduce nasal flaring while smiling 

10) Gummy Smile (to help bring down the upper lip to reduce the gummy smile when smiling)

Botox may not be suitable for other wrinkles or fine lines on the face not mentioned above. It is very important to seek an experienced Botox injector to determine this, and for the treatment of any of ten advanced areas mentioned above.

-Dr. Sunanda Chugh, NYC

Botox is best indicated for the forehead, crow's feet, and the glabells ("11 lines")

Botox is best and most often used for forehead wrinkles, crow's feet lines around the eyes, and the "11 lines" between the eyebrows. Botox has been safely used in these areas by many practitioners for many years, and I would say that the vast majority of experience has been in these 3 areas. There are other areas and uses for Botox also. including:

1. "Bunny lines" on the sides of the nose

2. Gummy smile reduction

3. Nasal flare reduction

4. Lifting up the corners of the mouth

5. Tightening the jawline (difficult to do, not as popular)

6. Lifting eyebrows

7. Decreasing the "orange peel" appearance of the chin

8. Lessening the appearance of neck bands

These are some of the other advanced uses of Botox and may be something worth trying if you have any of these issues since Botox is relatively cheap and completely reversible.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX Cosmetic is...

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA-approved for the treatment of glabella lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) and is also commonly used to prevent or treat horizontal lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.

Using my advanced knowledge of facial anatomy, I am also able to perform BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments into less common sites to create a mini-browlift, reduce lip lines, relax vertical neck muscle bands, or to aesthetically improve other features of the face.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for the Face

Thank you for your question.  If you have wrinkles that cover you entire face and have sun damaged skin you may benefit from CO2 laser resurfacing.  However, depending on the experience of your injector, Botox may be used for many areas of the face.  The common areas of use are the glabellar complex (11's), the brow, the forehead, and the crow's feet. Botox may also be injected in the following areas:

1. Lower lid -soften fine lines under the eye and to give the appearance of a more open eye
2. Nasalis - to reduce "Bunny Lines" (wrinkles on side of the nose)
3. Lateral Orbicularis Occuli - to provide for a slight brow lift
4. Depressor Septi Nasi - to raise the tip of the nose
5. Lip Elevator Muscle - to reduce a gummy smile
6. Depressor Anguli Oris - to lift the corners of the mouth
7. Mentalis - to reduce the golf ball chin
8. Masseter - to reduce a strong jawline
9. Platysmal Bands - to reduce the lines/bands in the neck

These are advanced techniques and can provide for amazing results when injected properly. These injections need to be done by an experienced physician injector to achieve optimal results. Botox Cosmetic has been used for many years and is considered to be very safe.  I hope this information was helpful!

Best Regards,
Dr. John Serrao  

Where can you use Botox

I like Botox for the upper face and think it does very well.  Common locations are between the eyebrows, in the forehead and in "Crow's Feet".  Less commonly injected areas include the DOA (depressor anguli oris- a muscle that causes you to frown) and in bands in the neck.  I am not a fan of Botox in the wrinkles around the mouth.  When people have had this they often look like they've had a stroke.  Botox is an excellent medication and can do things that surgery can not.  However, Botox is not a replacement for a facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty or skin resurfacing.  Be careful that the person who does your Botox does the other procedures as well or they may be just taking your money for minimal or no benefit.  Remember that for the person with one hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  Make sure they have more than "one" hammer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for newbies

Botox, is a great drug, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as a wrinkle eraser. If you are a Botox virgin, I would recommend most strongly to choose an experienced qualified injector. He or she will be able to assess your face and discuss your options in details. It is usually more important to assess what you want to improve, and then decide what you will use to achieve this improvement.

In general, however, Botox works great for improvement of vertical lines between the eyebrows, forehead lines, and crows feet area. Other applications are more advanced, and your physician will discuss whether you might benefit from them.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Areas of the face that can be injected with botox

Hi there thank you for your good question! 

Most commonly botox is injected into the upper face - helping to soften the appearance of frown, forehead and smile lines / crows feet. Treating dynamic lines, or the lines that appear when moving muscles of the face. 

Treatment results are usually dependant on the depth of the wrinkle. Sometimes a combination of botox and dermal fillers can be used to re-volumise and improve lines 'all over the face' and deeper lines. I also use skin boosters / or very soft hyaluronic acid injected at a more superficial depth to soften very light wrinkles too. 

More advanced procedures that I offer at my London clinic improve other less commonly treated areas:

1. Brow lift with botox

2. Botox to reduce the appearance of a gummy smile

3. Smile symmetry correction

4. Perioral / smokers lines around the mouth 

5. Under eye botox / subtle injections around the lower eye lid that soften fine lines 

6. Botox for bunny lines

7. Botox for nasal flaring muscles. 

8. Nefertiti neck lift 

9. Botox in the masseter muscle to improve square shaped jaw 

10. Botox in muscles around mouth - commonly DAO muscle that can up slant mouth corners. 

I hope this gives you an idea about other possibilities. 

Dr Rupert