What Areas of my Face Can I Get Botox Injected?

I have wrinkles pretty much across my entire face! So where would Botox be best suited/safe/effective?

Experience counts in Botox injection technique

Botox is a safe medication administered for cosmetic improvement of wrinkles. In this particular case where you complain of diffuse wrinkling, you may not be a candidate for Botox as your skin may be photoaged. The proper treatment may be to improve skin resiliency and quality.

Botox is best indicated for the forehead, crow's feet, and the glabells ("11 lines")

Botox is best and most often used for forehead wrinkles, crow's feet lines around the eyes, and the "11 lines" between the eyebrows. Botox has been safely used in these areas by many practitioners for many years, and I would say that the vast majority of experience has been in these 3 areas. There are other areas and uses for Botox also. including:

1. "Bunny lines" on the sides of the nose

2. Gummy smile reduction

3. Nasal flare reduction

4. Lifting up the corners of the mouth

5. Tightening the jawline (difficult to do, not as popular)

6. Lifting eyebrows

7. Decreasing the "orange peel" appearance of the chin

8. Lessening the appearance of neck bands

These are some of the other advanced uses of Botox and may be something worth trying if you have any of these issues since Botox is relatively cheap and completely reversible.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX Cosmetic is...

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA-approved for the treatment of glabella lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) and is also commonly used to prevent or treat horizontal lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.

Using my advanced knowledge of facial anatomy, I am also able to perform BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments into less common sites to create a mini-browlift, reduce lip lines, relax vertical neck muscle bands, or to aesthetically improve other features of the face.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging...

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging from the forehead to the frown lines between the eyes and the crows feet.

In my practice, I also use it on the lips (smokers lines) and occasionally on the chin area for people who tend to dimple their chins.

It is an incredibly useful tool and, in the right hands, can accentuate the eyes and make them look much more attractive. While most people out there do a limited amount of Botox, if you go to someone who is an expert, they will typically know how to do the other areas without side effects.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Where can you use Botox

I like Botox for the upper face and think it does very well.  Common locations are between the eyebrows, in the forehead and in "Crow's Feet".  Less commonly injected areas include the DOA (depressor anguli oris- a muscle that causes you to frown) and in bands in the neck.  I am not a fan of Botox in the wrinkles around the mouth.  When people have had this they often look like they've had a stroke.  Botox is an excellent medication and can do things that surgery can not.  However, Botox is not a replacement for a facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty or skin resurfacing.  Be careful that the person who does your Botox does the other procedures as well or they may be just taking your money for minimal or no benefit.  Remember that for the person with one hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  Make sure they have more than "one" hammer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for newbies

Botox, is a great drug, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as a wrinkle eraser. If you are a Botox virgin, I would recommend most strongly to choose an experienced qualified injector. He or she will be able to assess your face and discuss your options in details. It is usually more important to assess what you want to improve, and then decide what you will use to achieve this improvement.

In general, however, Botox works great for improvement of vertical lines between the eyebrows, forehead lines, and crows feet area. Other applications are more advanced, and your physician will discuss whether you might benefit from them.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Injection sites

Botox can be administered in 3 FDA approved locations.  These are the forehead, to treat horizontal wrinkles, the glabella in between the eyes, and the lateral sides of the eye to treat crows feet wrinkles.  Some providers use Botox in other areas but these are considered off-label use. Thank you for your question! 

Areas That Can Be Treated With Botox

Generally, Botox is used to treat the Galbella (between the brows), forehead and crow’s feet. However, expert injectors are capable of utilizing Botox to treat other areas of the face for a rejuvenated appearance. The benefits of these other areas can include the following enhancements below. The key is to do your research and choose an expert injector who customizes Botox treatments for each patient to fit their individual needs.

• Diminish the appearance of neck bands
  • Eyebrow lift
  • Tighten the jaw line
  • Reduce nasal flaring
  • Minimize fine lines on the sides of the nose known as “bunny lines”
  • Raise the corners of the mouth
  • Improve the appearance of the skin by reducing the “orange peel” look

In general, botox treats the“dynamic lines” that are caused by the movement of facial muscles. It does not treat the “static lines” that can be caused by sundamage and aging of the skin.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

What are the areas of the face toget botox?

Botox reduced wrinkles by selectively weakening certain facial muscles that cause the unwanted wrinkles.

The most common places to start treatment with botox are the frown lines (11's), the smiles lines in the eyes (crow's feet), the forehead lines  (long lines running across), and a mild brow lift.

If you have never had botox but you are considering getting botox these areas are good places to start.

More advanced injection include the corner of the mouth (for a lift), the upper lip, the lower eyelids, the necklines and the chin. Wrinkling in those areas can also be improved with botox but a more advanced technique injection is necessary.

Hope this information is helpful and good luck !

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Otolaryngologist

Botox areas

The "bread and butter" areas of Botox are the between the brows, the upper forehead, and the eyes crows feet areas.  More finesse areas of injection include the bunny lines on the side of the nose, the lower angle/corners of the mouth, the vertical lip lines when you pucker the lips, and the vertical neck bands caused by the aging platysmas muscle.

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon