I'm 45, female, 240lbs, 5' 7" inches tall and bottom heavy. How much weight should I lose before having a tummy tuck?

i weigh 240lbs i am 5 ''' 7 inches tall bottom heavy i want to know how much weight should i lose before having my tummy tuck done i have always been between 170lbs to 180lbs the last consult i had with a doctor for this procedure said i don't have to lose weight before the surgery but everyone tell's me that is incorrect please help me Thank You Sincerely Marie.

Best weight for a tummy tuck

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

• In a way, both approaches are correct.
  • Your current BMI is 37.5 - this puts you in a higher risk category for complications and you will not have as good a result. But if this is your final weight - and you have lots of excess skin, a tummy tuck may be reasonable but muscle tightening may not be feasible.
  • If you can get back to your usual weight, surgery will be safer, you will have a much better result and your muscle can be tightened.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Hello, and thanks for your question.

My answer is in 2 parts.
Firstly, the closer you are to your ideal weight, the healthier you are, so the better the surgery and recovery risks are. Your Plastic Surgeon is then also working with the correct abdominal apron anatomy.
Exercising of any type burns calories. Also, what you put in your mouth must be used up in calories, so you may need to change your diet to help theses calories going into your mouth every day. Small changes help. You may need a nutritionist to help you with this part.
Many of my patients find that once they have committed to having Tummy Tuck Surgery, this eating and exercising goal becomes easier to stick to.

Secondly, many of my patients who have Tummy Tuck Surgery find that they like the 'new you' so much that it is addictive. They don't want to lose that feeling of looking good. They find it easier to continue(or start) with the eating and exercising points above.

I hope this has been of value, and wish you well in your journey.

Ideal weight before tummy tuck

Thanks for your question.  If you are able to lose weight prior to having tummy tuck surgery, your result will likely be better since it will be possible to remove more loose skin.  Surgical risks are also higher for patients who are significantly overweight.  

Weight loss before tummytuck

Lesbella 
it will be better for your result and better for your health, to lose weight first. One option is to work with a nutritionist and don't forget to exercise as well, they work well together. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about losing weight prior to plastic surgery, it might help! Good luck, go for it!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Weight and abdominoplasty

Lesbella,
Thanks for youir question.  It is not one that has a single answer as you can tell by the other surgeons responses.  your BMI is   37.6 which we both know is high.  Of course, it is best to be at your optimum weight before a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), but trying to get down to 170 pounds might not be possible for you (you are the only one who knows).  I do larger liposuction/tummy tuck surgeries on a routine basis.  Many of my patients use the abdominoplasty as a"jump start" for even more weight loss as your shape changes dramatically in a short amount of time postoperatively.

Good luck in any decision you make.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Pre Tummy Tuck Weight Loss

Within reasonable limits the reason we discuss weight loss before a tummy tuck is because 
of two primary reasons.
1. The risks and complications of the procedure are higher with higher BMI's
2. The results are much better if a patient loses weight before a tummy tuck vs after a tummy tuck. If you lose weight after the skin will get lose again. The results are also better if you lose weight before the tummy tuck vs doing the tummy tuck with no weight loss either before or after.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Ideal weigh prior to tummy tuck

Hi Marie. Thank you for your question. There are two reasons to be at your ideal weight prior to surgery. The first is safety. A body mass index less than 30 generally reduces the risk for post-operative complications. Second, the best results will be achieved when you are at your ideal weight. A weight of 175 lbs. will put you at a BMI of 27.4. This is just a guideline. You should see a board certified plastic surgeon who can help guide you as to the best options for you. Best of luck. 

Jennifer Capla, MD

TT - pre op weight

I always like my patients BMI to be below 30 -- for you that would mean to be about your ideal 170- 180 pounds. Although no matter what you weigh it is possible to do surgery, it is always best to be at a good stable weight with a BMI between 25 and 30. You will have the best result then.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve (as close to possible to) long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. Best wishes.

Thank you for your excellent question.  I tell my patients that in order to have the best long-term results, patients should reach a weight that they feel comfortable at, and can maintain, without large fluctuations.  As weight increases, the body's tissues stretch and relax.  If you were then to lose that weight, you may develop loose skin as it can't shrink down.  If you were more comfortable at 170-180 lbs before, that should be a weight that you again aim for before pursuing elective surgery. You will have better results, at less risk.