CoolSculpting machine stopped during cycle. The suction was reapplied for an additional 60 minutes. Will this impact my results?

I had Coolsculpting done on my upper ab cool max & lower abs/flanks core. About 25 minutes into my ab cycle the machine stopped. The nurse immedealty reapplied for an additional 60 minutes. Will this impact my results? I am day 5 post procedure and i am feeling side effects swelling, numbness, bruising, itching. So i feel it definitely treated the areas but i am concerned it will not be effective. My procedure was 5 hours long 2 machines were used at a time 1 on abs and 1 on opposite flank.

Interruption in treatment

From what you describe it sounds like you were treated appropriately.  If the applicator pops off or the machine stops, then the entire cycle (all 60 minutes in your case), needs to be repeated. Your results should in no way be impacted by this happening since the appropriate action was taken to correct things.   Swelling, bruising, itching, tingling and numbness are all normal sensations after a treatment.  Sounds like you are doing just fine. No worries.  Good luck.

Pop off's

What you experienced we like to call a " pop off". It sounds like she did exactly what she should have done and started you on a new cycle. This will not impact your results, as you were still treated for an entire cycle!

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

In CoolSculpting this is know as a "pop off" an unfortunately can happen sometimes. The proper protocol is to retreat the entire area which was done.  This should not have an impact on your results. Please follow the aftercare instruction from your board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Machine stopped prior to completing the cycle

I’m sorry to hear that the machine stopped 25 min into your procedure. The provider followed the correct protocol to reapply and allow you the full 60min treatment. This should not hinder your results. The side effects you are current experiencing are expected and should subside within a few weeks, although everyone is different. Please remember that 2 treatments to each area is recommended for optimal results.

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Machine Popped off

Dear Football Mom, If a cycle ceases during treatment (less than 50 minutes) we reapply and do the entire 60 minutes so it sounds like your practitioner did the correct and recommended thing. I hope this puts your mind at ease. You're having common feelings post treatment but remember you can try compression, icing, and tylenol/motrin. If those things don't help please call the office where you had your treatments as there is a medication to help you if necessary. Best of Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Based on your description, it sounds like your treatment was done correctly. Those side effects are all normal and should subside in 2-3 weeks. If you feel that it does not, please see your treating physician. Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Loss of Suction during Coolsculpting procedure.

Thank you for your question. Reasons for loss of suction during the procedure include patient movement, inadequate amount of tissue in the applicator and  sub optimal applicator positioning .The results are not affected by applicator repositioning as long as the total duration of Coolsculpting is 60 minutes.