How long do I have to wait before I can redo my breast augmentation?

I am 3 weeks post op. 750 on one side 700 on the other. Over the muscle... One side is noticeably bigger than the other and its driving me crazy. I want to get the smaller side redone to match and would like to know how long is normal to wait to go through surgergy again?

Sorry to hear about your experience.  Giver yourself at least 3 months after surgery before you get a better idea about your breast appearance.  After that, you may consider breast implant revision.  Good luck.

Revision breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I would strongly advise you to wait it out for at least 6 months.  There are often some changes that can resolve with time.  It is not uncommon for one side to be more swollen, etc.  Let your surgeon guide you through the recovery period and he or she can give you the most helpful insight into what is going on since they operated on you.  Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait before breast augmentation revision

HI Isbane,  I usually recommend that patients wait 8-10 months before doing  a breast augmentation revision. It usually takes this time for all the swelling to go down to adequately judge what size of implant to place, especially if the implant is large.Hope this helps.,Best,Dr. Christine Rodgers

Breast implant revisions

For subtle non-technical issues then waiting 3 months is best.  If the implant was saline and there is a possible rupture or if the inframammary fold was reconstructed and there is obvious asymmetry then immediate correction is best.  The acuity of the issue is best determined by your plastic surgeon.  In general subtle differences in contour, shape, size take time for inflammation to subside.  Technical malfeasance is a separate issue.

John Y.S. Kim, MD, FACS

Revision Timing

Good evening!I do a lot of revisions, and the general rule is that you wait 12 weeks and then if you're still not happy once the swelling has subsided and things have settled down it is then safe to undergo a revision.
I have attached a link to my Breast Augmentation Revision photo gallery for your review- hope it helps!

Time between breast procedures

You are early in the surgical process so it would be a mistake to rush into another procedure. Allow yourself six months, and then consult your surgeon as he or she knows the specifics about you and the scope of the initial surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Without preop and postop photos it is not possible to give you an idea of alternatives, but most surgeons recommend patients wait 3 months before making any decisions regarding implant changes. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

In general, it takes about three months for everything to relax and settle after a breast augmentation.  Follow up with your surgeon so he can monitor your progress.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

3-6 months prior to implant change

Thanks for your question. I like for the pocket to have a minimum of 3 months to settle and to get an idea of the implant volume asymmetry. It would have to be very pronounced to go in early (3 months). With such large implant volumes any small asymmetry becomes very pronounced so this is not too uncommon. The risk in going back in to add more volume is that you will weaken the pocket and have a higher likelihood of implant malposition and asymmetry. Make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page and that your expectations will be met. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Three months

It is generally recommended that you wait at least three months before any breast revisions after a breast augmentation to allow for healing and swelling to come down.