Will I see a difference with 0.5 ml Juvederm lip filler? (photos)

I am having Juvederm lip filler next week and I'm still undecided whether to get 0.5ml or 1ml, I still want my lips to look natural but also full. My lips are quite full anyway but lose shape when I smile or talk. Thanks in advance.

Conservative Lip Augmentation With Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Based on your photograph, you appear to have nice natural fulllness to your lips.  I would suggest a conservative lip augmentation with a small amount of Juvederm (less than 1 cc).  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully address your concerns and discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Best wishes!

The correct volume for lip augmentation

Lip augmentation was one of the fastest growing procedures of 2015. Unfortunately, some have gotten carried away with this procedure. You can see individuals with duck lips or trout pout now. 

I prefer a lip enhancement, that accentuates the borders of the lip and adjusts for asymmetry. The result is an enhanced version of your natural lips. I always start conservatively. If you already have full lips, that means 0.5 mL to start. If you have thin/deflated lips, that may mean 1mL syringe. 

I recommend a consultation with your doctor who can explain the risks and features of this office procedure. Swelling is a bigger factor to consider with lip augmentation. Due to the constant motion of the mouth, it typically does not last as long as filler in other sites. It is usually 6 months or less. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

fillers do great to augment lips and you can use as much or as little as desired.  I suggest finding an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm for lips

I would suggest going with the 1 ml since you will require .5 ml for the upper lip only to see any enhancement.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

How much Juvederm is needed for lip enhancement?

Thank you for sharing your question. When it comes to injection of any dermal filler into the lips, it is always best to under-correct . More can always be added a week later, but it is most important to achieve a natural result. Start with the 0.5cc syringe. 
Good luck,

Juvederm

It is an art to get amazing results with lips.  The injector has to be experienced in doing very good lips.  The Juvederm is the tool and the amount used will get the desired look.  So best to look for a doctor that is very good doing lips that you want than amount used,

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Enough Lip Plump With 0.5 mL Juvederm?

Depends on how much of a change you want. Everyone's lips lose shape when they smile and talk. It's a natural occurrence as the muscles are on stretch when you smile and contracted when talking. You can always add on more Juvederm. Usually 1mL used between both the upper and lower lips will affect a nice change.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

How Much Lip Filler?

Each person will need a different amount of filler depending on their existing lip structure, their treatment goals, etc. It is a collaborative process between you and your injector which takes place before, during, and after your injections. You may want to start conservative. It's always easier to add more. I wouldn't put a set number on how much you need. Instead, use as much as it takes to achieve your desired goals. Hope this helps answer your question.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Lip enhancement with filler.

On average I find myself using between 0.6 and 1 cc to enhance upper and lower lips.  Your lips are already full and being conservative at first you may be happy with only .5 cc.  It might make more sense however to purchase 1 cc and if your injector feels that less than 1 cc is adequate, have him/her stop and either discard the remainder or if you're comfortable and trust the office, save the remainder to be injected only if needed within a week or two.

Remember to avoid blood thinning medicines before the treatment per your doctor's recommendations.  

Enjoy.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am. Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Lip Augmentation

I think the best recommendation is to listen to your injector.  It's important to think about the results that you are looking to achieve without getting too caught up in the actual amount of filler.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek. 

Kimberly Lee, MD