Why did 2 syringes of juvederm in my lips almost completely go away in 5 weeks? (Photos)

I got one syringe of lip filler, then another 9 days later because it was uneven..after 10 days it was perfect for me then within another 12 days it went down so much I looked like only .5 of the juvederm in it maybe less. I just went in a month after the 2nd syringe and put almost another whole new one in.....what..the..heck?!? Why did this happen no had a normal healing process. She said she never had this happen before. I hope it doesn't do it again!! :(

Longevity of Juvederm

Juvederm has excellent longevity but it does rarely not last too long in some people.   Check your comparable pre operative photos.   After injection there is swelling and some people read the regression of natural swelling as the Juvederm leaving.   I do a lot of Juvederm and have never had a case of  extremely limited longevity. My Best,   Dr Commons

Juvederm Results

It is likely that you were accustomed to the look of swelling, and now that the swelling has subsided, the final result is not as voluminous. I suggest comparing before and after photos, or returning to your injector and discussing your concerns. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip augmentation

The lips well quite a bit after filler. Then after about two weeks it settles down.  Sometimes you just need more to get to where you want it to be.  

Why did 2 syringes of juvederm in my lips almost completely go away in 5 weeks?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  The most common issue is that the swelling that results from your lip injections will gradually recede oftentimes making it appear that you lip filler has gone away.  I would voice your concerns to your injector as they should be following you with photographs. If indeed your filler is being metabolized quickly by your body, switching to a different hyaluronic acid may be a better option. Hope this helps.

Lip Juvederm Disappeared After 2 Weeks?

Your presentation is quite uncommon. Juvederm usually lasts from 9-12 months depending on the area. It may last a bit less in the lips because the lips are rarely at rest except when sleeping. They are in constant motion with activities such as eating, drinking, talking, smiling, etc. People metabolize Juvederm differently, that's why there's a range as to length of duration. Perhaps in your situation, you got used to your swollen appearance and when it went away, it seemed like you were back to your before appearance? I definitely see a difference - your lips are fuller and you have an overall poutier appearance. They look great! You can use lipstick to enhance the lip look the way Kylie Jenner does. She extends her lipstick beyond the actual border of her augmented lips to give an even fuller appearance. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Juvederm Injections for Lips and NYC

Juvederm is a great and long lasting injections for the lips.  Juvederm generally lasts 9 months in a given area.  There may have been swelling that seemed like product and that is why you think it all dissolved.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

How long should filler last?

Thank you for your question and for including pictures. My first question would be have you had filler in the lips before and which ones were they and did they work? The other thing was anything different during the treatment process than your other experiences? Fillers like Juvederm (HAs), tend to last about 6-9 months, so your presentation is atypical. If this was the one and only time I would give it a try again, however, if the same thing happened I would seek other alternatives. Best of luck!

Dr. Basile

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Duration of Juvederm in the Lips

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry to hear that you are having some concerns about the duration of Juvederm in your lips.  In general, fillers will not last as long when injected into the lips due to the constant movements in that area.  The duration in the lips should be closer to 6-8 months, as opposed to up to one year in other areas.  There can be some variability in the duration of results based on the individual patient and the type of product injected.  You may wish to ask your injector which type of Juvederm she is using and to consider using a thicker product that might last longer.  Please be sure to see an experienced injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to fully address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!

I must state I see a vast improvement! Plus your lip anatomy does not allow perfect symmetry! And finally you might have unrealistic expectations?

Juvederm lips longevity....

Thank you for your question.  Very rarely some people seem to metabolize Juvederm very quickly.  Additionally while Juvederm typically has very good longevity overall, in the lips this is commonly reduced and typically y the filler lasts only 4-6 months.  This is thought to be due to constant movement of our mouths, eating, talking, etc. leading to rapid breakdown of the product.  Please follow up with your board certified Dermatologist for further evaluation and management and possible treatment with another lip product if you are still unhappy.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon