Extremely concerned over uneven breasts after lift & augmentation. Insight appreciated.

I had a lift & 350cc silicone implants on 9/17. The entire purpose for this surgery was to correct my uneven breasts and sagging. My right breast was a C/D & left was a small C. My surgeon didn't want to use different sized implants & instead suggested deducting the right breast. I understand I am early in healing, but he's on vacation & I am concerned with nowhere to turn. His office just gives me his voicemail. My right breast is DRAMATICALLY larger. Advice/observation/insight is appreciated.

Uneven breast

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. Patience is one of the most important factors in achieving the best results in cosmetic surgery. We all want to see the final result as early as possible. Unfortunately, the healing process is complicated and takes time. The surest way to get a poor result is to undergo revision surgery before your body is ready for additional surgery.

Breast augmentations take about six months for the swelling to go down and the breasts to settle and assume their final size and shape. When we do a breast enlargement, surgeons try to center the implant behind the nipple. Minor position adjustments can be accomplished to account for the normal asymmetry that most women have. If the breasts are different sizes, saline implants can be adjusted to achieve better symmetry.

Please wait until six months post op and then return to your original surgeon. Minor asymmetry is normal. Too vigorous surgical approaches may result in more expense, more scarring, and new complications.

Good luck :)

Extremely concerned over uneven breasts after lift & augmentation

The final result of you surgery will take 4 to 6 months. As others have said, patience is needed. Have one breast swell more than the other is very common. No two sides ever seem to heal alike. Give it more time and see how things are down the road. 

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

Thank you for your question and photos.  At only about one month post-op, you need to be patient as you continue to heal.  I tell my patients to wait about three months before assessing the results of their surgeries.  Over the next several weeks, you breasts should drop into place and reduce in swelling.  Please continue to follow the instructions of your surgeon regarding post-op care to ensure optimal results.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Normal healing

At 2 weeks it is still early in the healing process after breast augmentation and some asymmetry is normal. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change. It can take 2-3 months for the implants to look and feel like they belong to you. Give your body time to heal. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have for his or her evaluation and advice . Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

I understand your concern but I would tell you that since the right side had more work done to it, it is likely that it is more swollen than the left. Patience and time and they will even out more. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Although your concerns are understandable, my best advice: time and patience. As you have heard, it is much too early to evaluate the long-term outcome of the procedure performed. Best to do so six months from now.  Don't be surprised if you are much happier then, than you are now (understanding that the breasts will never be identical…). Best wishes.

Too early

I understand your concerns,but do not worry. You are healing well and there is no major issues to worry about. The is more swelling in your right breast since tissue was removed from right side. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast issue

Your breasts look nice and you are very early in the post-op. If you are concerned that the one breast is larger and might have fluid then you should contact your surgeon.  Even if he is not in, there should be a service that can contact him or his coverage person.

Still early

You are early in your recovery.  Be patient as the larger side most likely had more work done to remove extra tissue and will have more swelling initially.
You are on your way to a nice result.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Just Had Surgery

Have patience as you have a long way to go before your breast settle and healed.  Contact your surgeon for an appointment once you return from vacation.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD