Wearing Makeup After Blepharoplasty or Eyelid Surgery

I had Blepharoplasty 4 days ago, and need to go back to work next week. I have read everywhere that I'm not supposed to wear any eye make up for 2 - 3 weeks. But if my skin looks sealed and healed by next week, is there any reason I can't wear make up sooner?

Makeup and Blepharoplasty

I would try to wait a week after surgery to start using makeup atleast. The wounds are still healing and your doctor does not want to risk infection or the wound opening up. I would gingerly remove the makeup and be careful about using alcohol based removers. Getting a blepharoplasty is not like getting a haircut or a cheeseburger. You are not doing this every month so I tell patients to stick by the rules. To be frank, it is frustrating for a surgeon when you give your patient a set of guidelines to minimize  complications and maximize the outcome and they don't do it because "they talked to someone" or "I heard from another doctor" and now there is a complication. Your surgeon knows your individual case. He did you your surgery and may feel for some reason that makeup should be held off. I wouldn't "do my own thing". That is the honest truth. 

Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Avoid Cosmetics

Make up can irritate the incision.

You should speak with your surgeon for further details. You may be allowed to wear make-up earlier in your particular case.

Seeing your surgeon before applying cosmetics is important, especially if you want to put it on so soon before the recommended wait time.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Hi there, although it is not ideal, most can start wearing makeup about seven or eight days following their surgery. Often, stitches are removed on day five or six. The tiny holes from the stitches are usually sealed within 12 to 24 hours. If your surgeon has used a subcuticular type of stitching, there are no holes to worry about. However, it is very important to understand that the skin incisions are not very strong at this point. Your skin is sealed but not fully healed. One must be very gentle on applying makeup and be even more gentle on removing it. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon however as others have different opinions. This has been working out in my practice.

Apply Makeup Once Stitches Are Removed Following Eyelid Surgery

Normally, it is safe to apply makeup after eyelid surgery, one week after the stitches are removed. At this point, the wounds should be sealed and healed enough. If there is any delayed wound healing, then use of makeup will be delayed. If a transconjunctival lower lid blepharoplasty is performed, there are no external incisions and the use of makeup may be sooner than eyelid surgery performed through an external incision.

It is very important to be gentle during the application and removal of eyelid makeup so as not to disturb the wound healing process.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Applying Makeup Before Your Incisions Are Ready Following Eyelid Surgery May Result in Scarring & Infection

Makeup can be extremely irritating to a fresh surgical incision. Furthermore, the cleansing agents used to remove makeup are even more irritating. For these reasons, we generally don’t allow patients to wear makeup for at least a week following suture removal. Hopefully, at this point the edges of the wound are sealed.

Many patients who have had blepharoplasty are eager to return to their normal lifestyle. Unfortunately, they have had bruising and swelling which can make it difficult to go out in public. For these reasons they are in a hurry to apply makeup as soon as possible after surgery.

Applying makeup before your incisions are ready could result in scarring and possibly infection. If you have questions regarding this issue, make sure you discuss them with your surgeon.

Generally, once your sutures are removed, wearing makeup is perfectly safe.  You want to avoid pulling and tugging on the eyelids until fully healed, but light makeup application is acceptable.  Wear sun protection and avoid the sun on the surgery site to ensure that your incision lines heal without getting darker.  

Vu Ho, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

I would consult your surgeon before wearing any makeup so soon after your blepharoplasty.

I would consult your surgeon before wearing any makeup so soon after your blepharoplasty. While in theory it should be fine to wear makeup a week after surgery as long as you are extremely careful and gentle with both application and removal (makeup and makeup removers can both irritate newly-healed skin and cause complications if not handled with the utmost care), your surgeon knows your individual case and can advise you best. I hope this helps.

Wearing Makeup After Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. It would be advised not to apply any make up, cosmetics or creams to your eyes for at least 2 week after your procedure.  This is to ensure incisions are completely healed, otherwise there is a possibility it could cause infection.  When attending your follow up you will be advised when you can begin moisturising and massaging the areas again.

Makeup After Eyelid Surgery

It is best to wait at least a week after surgery before you wear makeup. Eye makeup can be irritating to the incision and put you at risk for infection.

Makeup after bleph

It’s best to follow your surgeon’s instructions because they’ve been tailored for you, rather than getting that information elsewhere.

I usually allow my patients to wear concealer starting from the second week after surgery. This is helpful to hide bruising. Just make sure that the applicator is clean so as to minimize the risk of infection.