Can rhinoplasty "fix" a gummy smile? (Photo)

Was told today that there is no need to get an added muscle cut to relax my lip. That my lip is find and rhinoplasty will "fix" the gummy look due to VME... basically long face I guess. I was told by 2 other docs that the muscle would need to be cut to relax the muscle to reduce the gummy look even tho it isn't that noticeable. Only concern is my tip dives down when I smile... help. I feel like I adjust my smile to help w the gummy smile now. Want the work done right the first time and not go back twice.

In terms of your smile, certainly procedures, such as botox, can be done to limit  a gummy smile. Also, though, performing a rhinoplasty with alteration of the tip can improve the appearance of your nose and smile by altering some of the muscle (depressor) around the mouth. Hope this helps.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smile and nasal surgery

Dear Erikalayne,
If your main concern is that your tip dives down when you smile then you might be a good candidate for a cutting the muscle, or release of the depressor muscle.  You would need a proper exam to evaluate the need to do this, including smiling to see how the septum and tip respond.  There are a few reasons for a gummy smile, and some treatments involve more complex maxillary surgeries.   But if you main concern is reshaping the nose and the tip diving down, a basic rhinoplasty should accomplish this. 
Good luck!

Dr Narasimhan

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Candidate

You are an excellent candidate for Rhinoplasty surgery.  You are a very pretty lady with a male nose that needs a feminine nose.  The depressor muscle can be addressed at the same setting to address the "gummy" smile.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Thank you for the question and the photos and clearly you would benefit from a rhinoplasty.  So go on some consults with experts in your area that will take your photo digitally and then alter it to show you what can be accomplished with surgery.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD