I had a chin reduction a year ago, and now I regret it. Can it be reversed? (Photo)

Hello, A year ago I had a chin reduction combined with rhinoplasty, I don't like my new chin I prefer my old one. I had my chin mandibular reduced with fracture of bone ( osteotomy) with incision inside the mouth just under the teeth. I now have a metal plate with screws in place.I do not like the esthetic outcome,my chin is now too flat,before it was a little protruding with more definition which was more appealing and manly. My question is how can i reverse this and get my old chin back? thx

Doctor Answers 4

Chin Osteotomy Reversal

Your chin reduction is reversible. It could be done by either undoing the sliding genioplasty or putting in a chin implant for augmentation.It would make the most sense to just undo the osteotomy and put the bone back in its original place since the problem you now have is that the vertical dimension of the chin is too long. Your case illustrates that a setback sliding genioplasty is not an effective chin reduction procedure and increased vertical length is the trade-off for a backward horizontal movement.

Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Chin revision

Yes, this can be reversed. It appears the chin has been inadvertantly elongated as well as set back. Through thee same incision, the plate can be removed and the chin repositioned.

Stephen B. Baker, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon
2.8 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Reverting chin reduction

A sliding genioplasty is possible, but more information is required to fully evaluate if a secondary, revision surgery is possible since bone was removed and scarring plays a factor.  We are not normally partial to using chin implants to increase projection.  We cannot guarantee 100% that the chin would be in exactly the same position as before although this would be the aim.

Luis Miguel Capitan, MD
Spain Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews


You had a nice chin before. I agree with you that the chin is too flat and long at this point.  Sliding genioplasty could correct this. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.