IPL or v-beam for facial redness, rosacea? Which is more cost effective and longer lasting?

I'm 20, have suffered from facial redness starting in mid teens, like 14? The dermatologist just said that it's hormones and should go away, well never did and just got worse actually. My face is just red, always. You can see very faint veins that contributes to the redness on my upper cheeks. And right lower cheek. Makeup helps me, but I don't like wearing makeup and would like to be able to go to the store and not have to put on a face. So I'm looking into ipl and v-beams. What is your take?

Vbeam for Redness

In my office I like to treat Redness with Vbeam laser by Candela/Syneron. Vbeam stands for Vascular beam and will treat all things red. This laser is very effective for Rosacea, facial veins, leg veins, port wine stains, etc.

Although IPL can improve broken vessels and redness, I believe that the Vbeam is gold standard for these types of treatments. You will get better results in a quicker time frame with Vbeam vs IPL. You generally need a series of treatments for the best results.

The Vbeam can certainly improve your Rosacea/redness, but it is also important for you to know that once you are treated, you can have a Rosacea flare up depending on your triggers.

The most common trigger is sun exposure, remember to use an SPF 50 daily and seek shade when possible. Certain foods and drinks can also trigger a flare up, such as spicy foods, hot drinks, caffeine and alcoholic beverages.

It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to ensure this option is best for you.

Click on link below for more information on Vbeam:

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Pulsed dye laser versus IPL

The V beam is a brand-name of pulsed dye laser, this laser is very specific to target hemoglobin, an element of our blood and therefore is a great laser for blood vessels. Intense pulsed light, or IPL, is not in fact a laser at all, just as its name suggests it is an intense burst of light. This inherently makes IPL less specific for any certain target. As the old adage says, IPL is a jack of all trades but master of none. Pulsed dye laser on the other hand is definitely a master at targeting blood vessels. 

If it's truly redness that you are targeting, you cannot go wrong with the pulsed dye laser. As far as lasers go, this is generally an inexpensive option to boot.

Make sure your laser surgeon is a dermatologist, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained and one of these core four cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Vbeam for facial redness

The V-Beam laser is the gold standard for treating facial redness. The V-Beam laser works better than the IPL laser for treating facial redness. It works on facial scars, broken blood vessels, leg veins, and acne. It is my favorite laser for rosacea and facial redness.