How Long Does Redness Last After V Beam?

I had V Beam treatment a week ago for broken blood vessels on face, and had a significant swelling that subsided after a few days. However, I still have lingering redness.

I am just wondering, approximately how long does redness post treatment last? Does redness mean blood vessels are trying to coagulate? If this is true, how long does coagulation take? How long should I wait to heal before the next treatment? For the next treatment, how do you know the difference between what needs to be treated and areas that are still just trying to heal?

Depends on the setting used!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The higher the energy placed into the skin by the laser the more recovery! That seems intuitive but it is really true!

It can be a few hours of redness to a week of bruising depending on is being treated with what settings.

Here is some good info on the laser.

The Vbeam Laser produces bursts of light that selectively destroy the blood vessels anywhere on the body.

Pulsed dye laser treatment is so safe that it has been used successfully for the treatment of port wine stains in infants and young children. The Vbeam skin laser can also be used to treat rosacea, stretch marks, warts and keloids, or even tiny spider veins on the legs or face.

After applying numbing cream, the laser light is applied to the patient’s skin. Vbeam skin laser treatment is relatively painless and does not require a long healing time. The most common reaction patients experience include just a few hours of mild redness.

Treatment with the Vbeam may consist of multiple treatments, depending upon the condition and needs of the patient’s body. For facial veins, one treatment may be sufficient for clearance (that said, additional treatments are not uncommon). These treatments occur on an average of every 4 weeks depending on the area and type of treatment.

Los Angeles Dermatologist

Redness after Vbeam

Redness usually can last from 24-48 hours depending on the skin type , the setting that were used .

Applying cold compresses or ice right after the treatment can help with the redness reduction.

The doctor should tell you the recommendation in between sessions , normally is 4-6 weeks . 

Joseph Doumit, MD
Montreal Dermatologist

Depends... usually a few days

For broken blood vessels I usually tell patients that V Beam will give redness, swelling and possibly bruising for a few days. Ice ice ice straight after V beam laser can reduce the duration of all the above. It also depends on factors such as settings of the vbeam laser, the severity of broken blood vessels and what medications you are taking. Fish oil, anti inflammatories, asprin etc... can increase the swelling and bruising and lengthen healing time.

Healing is easily visible- ie. reduction in blood vessels and redness, this should be evident on pre and post treatment photos. 

I usually wait 3-6 weeks between treatments for teles and rosacea, and 2-4 months for conditions such as port wine stains or birthmarks.

Hope that helps

Dr Davin S Lim
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Redness can last a few hours to a few days after V-Beam

The redness after the procedure really depends on the setting that is used.  I find that with conservative settings, we almost always can avoid long term redness or any down time.  It is always important to go to a skilled laser physician for these treatments.

The redness usually lasts days

Bruising is a side effect that can take 2 weeks to resolve, but redness and swelling usually subsize within several days. I would contact your dermatologist to make sure everything is OK. It could be related to a medication you are taking.

Intervals are usually 3-6 weeks between sessions, but usually no more than 3 are needed.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Redness only last a few days after V-Beam

Redness can persist for a week or two following VBeam treatment. Heating up small blood vessels leads to their rapid shrinkage. Blood within these vessels rapidly exits, leading to extravasated (outside) red blood cells that can give the skin a pink or bruised appearance. Healing or persistence can be gauged by looking at regional redness verses the persistence of fine snaky blood vessels.

Bobby Buka, MD

Redness lasts short period

After V Beam laser for rosacea, the redness usually subsides after a few days.  However, this could be dependent on the settings and how aggressive your treatment was.  I suggest you contact your physician if you have lingering redness.

Mandy Lynn Warthan, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Redness usually only a day or two after Vbeam

In my experience, the most troubling effect after Vbeam laser is the swelling which typically lasts several days. Most of the redness experienced by patients I have treated has resolve in 24 hours or less, with a few patients having redness that lasts a bit longer 48-72 hours. I wonder if you are reacting to anything that you are putting on your skin. The interval between treatments is 3-6 weeks and usually most if not all of the initial treatment area is treated in subsequent treatments.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist