I did Cellfina 5 weeks ago. I have a lot of red-purple spots. How quickly can I start using hydroquinone treatment?

Cellfina Recovery

Addressing the structural cause of cellulite involves surgically releasing the connective tissue bands that tether skin and create puckering. While Cellfina is a minimally invasive procedure, the procedure does require access points in which a needle-sized microscopic scalpel is used to release the connective bands at specified depths. These puncture sites can take time to heal, and there can be evidence of bruising for several weeks or months as everyone heals at their own pace. Some patients benefit from using arnica gel/cream for post-procedure bruising and swelling. As hydroquinone treatment helps with hyperpigmentation, it may help to diminish the appearance of the puncture sites once they are closed. It is important to consult your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding any questions or concerns as you are healing from the procedure. Good luck in your recovery!

Healing after Cellfina

IPL laser, and topical creams such as biocorneum are a better choice.  Arnica cream for bruising can help as wellResults can be seen in as little as three days post-op. Most patients report some soreness, tenderness, and bruising, which should resolve within a week. 90% of patients reported no bruising after one month. To ensure the best results, a compressive garment should be worn for 2 weeks post-treatment.

Cellfina Treatment West Los Angeles

Hello and thank you for the question.A photograph would be useful to give you a more definitive answer.  At 5 weeks post-procedure, most of the swelling/bruising should have resided by now, hence you may be dealing with post-procedural petechiae, which will not benefit from hydroquinone.  I would recommend following up with your physician in order to strategize the best plan moving forward.Warmest Regards,Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Once the bruising has resolved, I think it is ok to begin hydroquinone treatment. So 5 weeks should be a sufficient amount of time. Good luck!

Treatment after Cellfina

Thanks for your question. I think you should be fine to start using the HQ cream at this point, as long as all of your tiny access sites have fully healed. By week 5, I'd guess most of your bruising has subsided. It takes a solid 3 months before you really will feel "healed." Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina

I would add that you should be careful with sun exposure.  Even if you are wearing clothing you can still have exposure.  We were reviewing photos today and the patient had liberally applied sunscreen on her posterior and later thighs her treatment sites were not visible.  On the buttocks where she thought her swim suit would protect her there was a significant difference in the appearance even after 3 months.

Hydroquinone after Cellfina

Hydroquinone should not be used on the area you had Cellfina. The red/purple spots are most likely petechiae from the suction as well as the multiple needle puncture sites. 
 This should resolve on its own within the next two weeks. Re-visit your healthcare professional if you have further questions or concerns. 
#cellulite   #cellfina   #bruising

Red-purple spots after Cellfina

The red purple spots should resolve on their own--they typically do. Hydroquinone is used for hyperpigmentation or darkening of the skin. Follow up with you treating physician so that they can evaluate you and monitor your progress.