Why are my breasts separated, nipples puffy, and very pointy? (photos)

I'm 19 and my breasts are seperated, pointy and my nipples are puffy constantly. My breasts have been like this ever since I can remember and I thought it was normal until I saw my friends breasts. I also tried wearing a v neck dress with no bra like most girls do and my breasts just looked weird.. Can someone help me? Thankyou

Pointy nipples

you for your question and for sharing your photos. Your breast do have nipples are that pointing more outwards which accentuates the separated look. In addition the nipples are pointy. These are all part of the normal spectrum of breast development. If any of these aspects are a concern, then I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss options to address your concerns.

Comparison is the thief of joy!

Hi MrsMakeMePretty, It steals joy but does much more. The comparison trap is a self-sabotaging habit of judging ourselves against others we come into contact with; using external cues to measure our own self-worth lands us in a self-defeating cycle of always coming up short and feeling like we’re never good enough, successful enough, or pretty enough. Your breasts are completely normal. And believe me, "most" girls are not going bra-less. Don't let one experience of the comparison trap get you down. If you desire to change certain characteristics of your breasts, do it for you, based on what you want to feel confident. Meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon will help guide you to what is achievable based on your goals. Good luck my dear!

William Aiello, MD

Your breasts are very normal

There are many variations of normal breasts including differing sizes, shapes and differences between the two breasts. All of these breast types are quite normal and can be considered attractive by many. Your breasts appear to be quite normal in appearance and not at all "weird".
I would hope that most plastic surgeons would explain exactly this to you in a consultation. Cosmetic breast surgery is completely individual and optional. if you are really bothered by the appearance of your breasts, then you can certainly consider an in-person consultation with one or more recommended plastic surgeons in your area to discuss options for cosmetic enhancement should you decide to proceed.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Normal breast shape

Your breasts look normal and I don't think anything is wrong with them. Comparing yourself with how others look will cause problems because every woman has a different appearance. Your breasts appear to be low set, which is why you don't have as prominent cleavage. But this is totally normal. 

Ronald Levine, MD

Breast Implants Would Give Breasts Upper Pole Fullness

I certainly appreciate what you are describing and I also agree with what my colleagues have written as you are within the range of “normal”.That does not however mean that you feel your breasts are attractive. As mentioned in prior comments your breasts are low on your chest wall giving the upper pole a scooped out appearance. Breast implants would give your breasts more upper pole fullness you are seeking.

Grant Stevens, MD

You could benefit from an implant

Thank you for your question. Your breasts are well within the range of normal, but the breasts are a little bottom-heavy. You may benefit from an implant to give you a bit more upper pole fullness and more attractive cleavage, with the size of implant up to you. But, otherwise the direction of the nipples unfortunately accentuates the perception of separated cleavage.

Why are my breasts separated, pointed and with puffy nipples?

If you were to compare the breasts of 10 women, it is likely that you would note many differences between them. As such, it does not come as a surprise to me that you feel like your breasts may be inadequate, having seen your friends’ breasts and compared them. Let me be clear when I say that breasts come in many shapes and sizes, and yours are well within the range of normal.

That said, if the appearance of your breasts is truly bothering you, you may consider a consultation with a board-certified breast specialist who can guide you through appropriate remedies to correct what is making you unhappy and help you achieve your desired results. Just be sure that you are having surgery because you wish to correct things that are of genuine concern to you, not because you’re comparing yourself to others.

Colin White, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Shape

Every woman has a unique anatomy that results in a different breast shape and size, and yours is one of the normal variations. If you are looking to change the way your breasts look, I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon in order to discuss what your options are. A procedure you may consider is breast augmentation with breast implants. Our practice utilizes the Vectra 3D imaging system which can simulate realistic results that you can expect to see after surgery. 

John Diaz, MD

Breast shape

Hi, thanks for your question.

Your breasts are within the realm of normal shape. However, I have performed surgery on females with your same breast shape that wish for a more round shape and decreased "puffiness" to the nipples. So, if this concerns you, I suggest seeking a consult with a plastic surgeon and he/she can help you make an appropriate decision.

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Breast and Nipple Shape

Thank you for providing the photo. Your breasts appear to be normal. Just remember that breasts come in a large range of shapes and sizes. Nipples with this “puffy appearance” can be quite common. Your breasts naturally fall low on the chest wall causing this separated appearance. A breast augmentation may help improve the shape and overall fullness. A board certified plastic surgeon can help you understand your options for surgery.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon