Lip filler only in upper lip? (Photo)

Hello, I've recently had a lip filler consultation with a Plastic Surgeon here in London, and he advised to only fill my upper lip (restylane or belotero). He uses cannullas. Wouldn't this give me the duck lip look? He said he would use about 1ml of product. As you can see on the pictures my upper lip is very thin, especially when I smile, it almost disappears. I do want a natural result but was a little worried about filling just my upper lip. Thanks for your help!!

No Duck Lips

Lip Fillers are an effective way to enhance your lip. Making sure their is balance balance of top to bottom is essential  to a pleasing and natural result. Divine proportions is 1 to 1.6 ratio of top lip to bottom lip. Symmetry of right and left is also essential. You have a cupid's bow, first I would enhance the bow to make a beautiful natural shape. Tapering the filler from middle to side is next. Make sure their is symmetry. After achieving a beautiful top lip, then I would re evaluate the top to bottom ratio, the lip to face ratio and ensure that the bottom lip is perfectly symmetrical. 

Duck lips are only made by poor injections technique, too much product, and poor product placement.

Restylane is nice for patients with very thin lips, but it tend to swell more than some other products. Also, it may only last a few months.

A cannual is preferred by some doctors. I like a needle, as I find better control of product placement. Needles also allow the use of several different techniques like curling or tenting. This technique rotates your lip. By doing this, it shows more of your lip that is hidden underneath your lip by your teeth.

New York Physician

Lip filler query

Hi there!

The golden ratio of proportions of top / bottom lip are 1:1.61

Looking at the pictures here, your upper lip is relatively thin and probably a little under proportion if applying this ratio therefore upper lip augmentation will improve your aesthetics. There are lots of different methods for achieving this very much dependant on the injector. Some use cannulas / others syringes to directly inject. Personally I would use juvederm vobella or volift with syringing.

Hope this helps and good luck with there treatment! 

Rupert Critchley, MD, MRCGP
London Physician

Fillers

The doctor most likely wants to focusz on the top lip being you have a very small top lip and he/she is worried if they fill the bottom it will be hard to get them even. 

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Lip filler only in upper lip

It does make sense to build your upper lip to a greater degree than the lower lip to achieve better proportion. However, some of the product may still be used in the bottom depending on the proportion that you are seeking.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Conservative Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your excellent question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about the appearance of your upper lip.  Based on your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for lip augmentation with a hyaluronic acid based dermal filler such as Juvederm.  The majority of product will be needed in your upper lip to achieve the ideal proportions.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your concerns and your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Christian N. Ford, MD
Cohasset Physician

Filler for lips ... best approach

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Your upper lip is significantly thinned compared to your bottom. I would start building your upper lip to a 40-60% ratio compared to your lower lip. Once that is achieved, then jump to augment the lower lip.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Lip Augmentation

You will definitely need more product in the top and very little in the bottom lip.  I would encourage you to review this with your physician before your injections and please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Getting Lips You Love--Lip Augmentation with Fillers (Volbella, Restylane, Juvederm), implants or fat

It will depend on the final results you want. If you're concerned, I recommend following up with the injector about their recommendations. These fillers, (Restylane, Volbella, Juvederm) are good to create a symmetrical and full lip. Implants or fat are alternative options. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip enhancement, is it ok to just fill upper lip

The goal of lip injections is to maintain or achieve the perfect lip shape and measurements. One of the most important measurements is the golden ratio, which is the upper to lower lip size. This should be 1:1.61. So, if the injection is done only to the upper lip, it still must keep the golden ratio in mind. I don't think that 1 cc should all go into the upper lip, some will need to go into lower and around lips. Cannulas help decrease bruising but precise placement might need needles too. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

You do not need a full milliliter of volume in your upper lip.

If this injector placed this much product, particularly Belotero, you will end up with a lip shelf.  I am also concerned that putting a full syringe in the upper lip will be too much.  I suspect that you could have a very nice improvement with a half milliliter all placed in the upper lip.  That would leave product to be placed in the left half of the lower lip which is relatively weak compared to the right side.  I personally prefer Restylane for the lip edge.  It needs to be careful placed but holds up and does not drift after placement.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon