Can Botox injections help crepey neck skin?

The crepey skin on my neck has come on really fast and looks awful and I am only 40 - None of my friends my age seem to have it! It's really bothering me and making me very self conscious. Could botox injections help or are they really just for prominent bands? My bands are not overly prominent yet. Thanks.

Botox to tighten your neck.

An off label use of Botox would be to inject a small amount into your Platysmal bands. This will tighten the appearance of your neck. Temporarily. Botox lasts about 3-4 months, and needs to be repeated.

I hope this answers your questions.

Creepy Skin on Neck

A combination of lasers such as Fraxel, microneedling and PRP and small amounts of Botox can all help this area. Please post a photo to best help you.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox for crepey neck skin

Crepey neck skin is always a challenge to treat.  Combination treatments work best.  Radio frequency treatment such as Thermage, laser treatment such as Fraxel, Selphyl PRP, fillers and Botox all work together to give the best results.  Consult a cosmetic dermatologist who offers all of these treatments and who can assess what would work best for you.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Help for crepey neck skin

Crapey neck skin is a result of sun damage, weight loss, genetics and, sometimes, overactive muscles. 
Most of the changes are in the skin and not necessary in the muscles of deeper structures.
Generally speaking, the skin itself needs the most attention including epidermis and dermis. 
There are many excellent treatments available such as Selphyl (activated PRP), and multiple lasers.
The first think that I would suggest is a consultation with a doctor specializing in cosmetic skin treatments. Since you are talking about the skin, I would recommend skin experts - Dermatologists.
I hope that helps and best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello LouMig,

Botox can help with bands in the neck (platysmal bands) but it will not help with the crepey skin.  This is best addressed with either topical treatments like creams and lotions when not too severe, energy based treatments like Ulthera for mild to moderate lax skin, and a neck lift for moderate to severe lax skin (which could also address the neck bands).  

I'd recommend you consult with either a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to learn about your non surgical and surgical options.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crepey neck skin

Dear LouMig,

Botox will not be the best for crepey skin. Laser can significantly help crepey skin. ALso a good skin care product with retinol will help over time as well as daily sunscreen.

Best of Luck,

Dr. R

Morgan Rabach, MD

3D Laser to Tighten Crepey Neck Skin

Crepey skin is more an issue of laxity due to loss of collagen, which is why Botox would not be very effective in addressing your concerns. In my office we have the newest, cutting-edge technology for collagen building neck tightening, our 3D laser. 3D laser uses a combination of Collagenesis and Vbeam, both used to build collagen in different ways, tightening skin on a deeper and more superficial level for an overall three-dimensional tightening effect. This procedure involves minimal discomfort and zero downtime but has produced incredible results for our patients, particularly when performed in a series. The neck bands you mention could possibly be improved with a dermal filler, however an in-person consultation would be necessary to determine the best treatment plan to achieve the results you desire.

Dennis Gross, MD

Botox will not help crepey neck skin

Botox can help muscle bands in your skin but will not do anything for crepey skin.   You can look at ipl and consult in that area and in good skin care products.  It is a tough problem.     My Best Dr Commons

Neck Skin

Unfortunately, if the issue is not related to muscle activity or to the platysma, Botox is likely not the best choice for you.  Skin tightening and collagen thickening would likely be the best treatment course for your issue.  There are a wide variety of treatment options available.  So much so, that it can be dizzying.  To name a few: Thermi RF, Ulthera, Fractionated CO2 laser, and chemical peels.  It would be best to speak to a surgeon who is well trained in the area, and explore your options.

Jesse E. Smith, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon