If I want to build up my masseter muscle again, how soon after jaw botox can I start chewing gum on a regular basis?

I received botox in my masseter muscle a little over a month ago (16 units on each side), and I am not liking the results, as my face has narrowed to much for my liking. I heard that chewing gum consistently can help work the muscles to bulk them up again. Should I start chewing gum now, or wait the 3-4 months for the botox to wear off?

Botox and Masseters

you can chew gum without any interruption with botox, but this won't help "increase the masseter."  If you need immediate results you can inject filler till the masseter comes back from the botox treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Gum chewing after masseter treatment

You can start chewing gum at any time but it really won't make the botox go away any faster. it is going t o take a few months to wear off

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Building up masseter muscle mass after Botox

Dear hbruno:

There is no reason to wait. Chew away! (Maybe choose a sugarless gum to protect your teeth from cavities.)

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Gum After Masseter Injection

There isn't anything stopping you from chewing gum now to build up the muscle fibers.  Best of luck!

If I want to build up my masseter muscle again, how soon after jaw Botox can I start chewing gum on a regular basis?

Thank you for your question.  Though your muscle mass will return in a few months once the Botox has worn off there is no reason that you can't chew gum now.  Hang in there!

Don't wait

You can start chewing the gum right now but while the Botox is working your muscles won't bulk up as fast as they would without it. In addition, 16 units per side for masseters is not that much, so hopefully this will wear off for you quicker than the 3-4 months Botox is indicated to last.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Botox for any treatment will wear off!

Botox in the masseter muscles is not only utilized for TMJ but also to give the lower face a slimmed appearance.  This procedure can help define the the jaw line and is especially helpful for those with a square jaw secondary to masseter enlargement or hypertrophy. My advise is to just wait as the good thing about Botox is that it will wear off.  16 units per side is also not a lot, so I think you will be fine in 3 to 4 months. Best of luck

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Botox for masseter muscles

You can start chewing gum right away after Botox treatment for the masseter muscles.  It will take several months for the Botox effect to wear off.  Filllers will restore volume immediately.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist