4 weeks Post op Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair, does my belly button look normal? (photos)

I am 4 weeks post op and I am really unhappy with the way my belly button looks. It's bumpy inside and not round like I see on other people who have had tummy tucks. I am also concerned about my scar in the middle of my tummy which is above the horizontal scar going up towards my belly button. That is also raised and bumpy and is not smooth. And the skin has not fused together properly leaving a flap of skin on top. Is this normal?

Too early to judge outcome

At this point in your recovery, it is much too soon to be worried about the outcome.  It takes time for the swelling to resolve.  It may be 6 months or more before the shape has reached its final look.  Be patient.   Watch your physical activity. Everyone is different.

Tummy Tuck Post-Op Healing

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks. Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Also, it may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle. These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Belly button

It can take several months for the belly button to be normal. At this time, it is best to just try to have patience as things will certainly look better in several weeks. Best wishes. 

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Post tt

you are really early. tough to tell in the pictures your naval issues.  I am sure you were told about the vertical scar preop.  give things 6 months and see how they look . adjustments can be made then

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon