Abdominoplasty and Varicose Veins. Will the abdominoplasty/recovery affect my VV in any way?

Im having an abdominoplasty in October and i have a varicose vein on my leg (not a severe one, about an inch long). will the abdominoplasty/recovery affect my VV in any way (i'm planning to get it fixed next year) x

Abdominoplasty and varicose veins

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  An abdominoplasty should not impact your current varicose vein but I would discuss with your surgeon the use of compression stockings during recovery to help minimize vein changes.  Hope this helps

Check with your surgeons

The tummy tuck should not interfere with your varicose vein surgery.  I would address this with both surgeons.

Abdominoplasty and Vericose Veins

This is a very good question. It's possible that the vericosity could worsen due to the relatively temporarily increased pressure near the pelvic / lower extremity venous system. It's not anywhere near a common complication or complaint. It will be important to ambulate very early in the immediate post surgical recovery period and be very careful of too extreme abdominal compression garments or binders. Highly consider compression stockings immediately after surgery and throughout the first 1-2 weeks. Stick with the plan of having it fixed next year.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

TT with varicose veins

I would recommend checking with a vascular surgeon preop to be sure you don't have deep vein problems as well. I have a background as a vascular surgeon first and so can speak with some experience. Also be sure your plastic surgeon uses SCD or sequential compression devices. Good luck.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon