Tummy Tuck without MR, would like some second opinions. Is there a difference in cost? Recovery?

Early 20's. No children and do not plan to for another 5 or 6 years. In the mean time, I want to get rid of my stomach fat and loose skin. If i need a retouch after my pregnancies in the future that is fine. I workout and have lost 40 lbs. Dr. examined me and said I have good abdominal muscles and don't need MR. Would like some second opinions. Is there a difference in cost ? Recovery ?

Tummy tuck results

Hi and thanks for the question. Please email our office good quality photographs and I will give you an accurate assessment, plan of action, and a cost estimate. 

Tummy tuck without muscle repair

You may not NEED a muscle repair, but the muscles can always be tightened, and you will have a flatter stomach and stronger muscles.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction will give you an excellent outcome

There is no difference in cost, but you will be cheating yourself out of the best possible outcome by eliminate it as part of the surgery.

Tummy tuck without muscle repair

Providing that you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck anyway, then tummy tuck without muscle repair will allow you to resume physical activities sooner. I have found that the majority of women will benefit from at least some repair as this will produce the trimmest shape, even if it means delaying resumption of exercise for 2-4 weeks. It doesn't add a significant amount of time so there is not a significant cost savings to forego the muscle repair.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck without MR and would like second opinions. Is there a difference in cost? Recovery?

Thank you for your excellent question and congratulations on your desire to pursue a tummy tuck.  If all else were equal, there would be a small cost savings from not performing a muscle repair because of the time saved in the operating room, but your recovery would be easier as there would be less postoperative pain. Hope this helps. 

TT before pregnancy

I understand your question, and do know of a young lady who had a TT then later became pregnant. However, it is usually better to wait, as pregnancy may stretch those muscles and you may need a secondary procedure. It is slightly less expensive, but maybe seek opinions on just liposuction. Pix would have helped.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck without MR, would like some second opinions = if candidate, it is a good option #tummytuck #abdominoplasty

In certain patients, pregnancy causes excess of skin and adipose tissue in the tummy without separation of the rectus muscles (RM) (it means they have a flat belly with wrinkly skin). In these cases, a "tummy tuck" without RM repair ( I called extended panniculectomy) could be performed to achieve a rejuvenated tummy. This is ideal specially if the patient is planning to become pregnant again in the fat future ( tummy tucks ideally should be done after done with pregnancies). In my practice,when I perfrom "extended panniculectomoies" ( "tummy tuck without RM repair) the patients must have a flat tummy when seeing from the side.

John Mesa, MD

If muscle repair is not performed at the time of a tummy tuck, the recovery will likely be easier as there will be less discomfort.  Cost will vary from region to region and is often determined on how much time the planned procedure will take.  I would recommend seeing another board certified plastic surgeon for an in person exam if you would like a second opinion.

Naveen Setty, MD

Hello and thank you for your question. You should always get a second opinion if you have questions after you initial consultation. Without photos or an examination it is difficult to determine what you may need in order to give you the best result. The cost will vary depending on the specific surgeon you see. Best Wishes

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician