Axillary Liposuction and Risk of Lymphoedema.

A recent consultation with a surgeon regarding light liposuction to the auxillae (fairly low, next to the breast, not high into the armpit) went well, however, I was warned about the risk of lymphoedema as a result of surgery. Please can someone contextualise how significant a risk this is with this kind of surgery? Was this warning a formality or a genuine risk? Should I be worried? Thanks!

Axillary liposuction

Thank you for asking about your axillary liposuction.
  • Without having examined you, one can't say if lymphedema is a significant risk.
  • Fat in the axilla is usually under the skin, not around the lymph nodes.
  • I have not had lymphedema from liposuction here and have done it for many years.
  • But if I were to damage to the lymph nodes during liposuction, it could cause chronic pain and lymphedema.
  • And if there is a lot of loose skin, then removing the skin may be better than liposuction.
  • What about asking your surgeon how often s/he has had patients with lymphedema after axillary liposuction - if the number is high, it may be wise to get a second opinion.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Axillary lipo

there is nothing dangerous about what you had done. Lipo of the breast tail should NOT cause swelling of the arms. Keep touch with your surgeon,

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Greetings

Thank you for your question 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon