NeoGraft healing process timeline: What should I expect right after the surgery?

What is the recovery timeline, the next day? 3 days later?

How fast will I heal after Neograft?

Healing after Neograft is fast.  You will have some swelling the day after that will a few days to resolve.  It is not extreme, but you will feel it.  This causes some discomfort but most people say that is isn't really painful.  The donor sites and new hair recipient sites have some tiny scabs that flake off in 3-4 days.  By the 5th or 6th day you can barely see that any procedure was done since the donor sites are basically healed.  Most patients keep their head covered for a couple days.

Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Timeline of healing following a NeoGraft FUE hair transplant

The NeoGraft device is a tool that a person (typically a technician) uses to perform a type of hair restoration called follicular unit extraction (FUE).  With the FUE technique, instead of a linear strip being taken from the donor area, individual follicles are extracted from the donor area. The follicles are then implanted into the areas of need. This will cause swelling in both the donor and recipient area.  If you are having any work done in the frontal hair line, frontal temporal recessions, frontal forelock, or the bridge area of the scalp you will have some swelling in your face, most noticeably around your eyes, which peaks on days 3 though 5 after the procedure. There can occasionally be some minor bruising around the eyes as well. The tiny scabs from the FUE extraction sites and the insertion sites in the recipient area will tend to remain for about 6-9 days following the procedure. The hair in the donor area should grow long enough to cover the extraction sites in the donor area as long as the hair is not very fine (eg: thin hair shaft diameter), in which case this could take 2 weeks or more.

For the first 3 days typically there is not much discomfort at all. At our Center, I have our patients irrigate their grafts with a solution in a spray bottle every hour while they are awake. This solution is engineered to nourish the new grafts and wash away scabs. In this manner, for the first 3 days, there is not much pain, but a lot of active wound care on the part of the patient.  The donor area where the follicles were removed from is addressed with a specialized ointment for the first week or so, or until the scabbing stops, whichever comes first.

Ken Anderson, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft healing time

The healing time only takes a few days, but the swelling from the saline and local anesthesia may take 5-7 days to fully resolve.  It all depends upon where you're getting the hair grafts placed.  However, most of my patients are ready to return to work after a week.  

Thanks for your question!

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Healing Process After FUE Hair Transplant

Th healing process is the same after FUE hair transplant regardless of which machine or instruments are used. The patient has punch holes at the donor area and transplanted grafts at the recipient area. On average, the wounds and scabs are seen for 10-14 days at both sites. If the donor area is strong, the hair will have grown enough to cover the extraction areas or it may take an extra week. The recipient area will be camouflaged within the same period if existing hairs are present. If the recipient area is bald, then it may looks pink for up to 6 months. The little hairs that are from the transplanted grafts may stay there for a couple of weeks after surgery and disappear.

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Timeline

Great Question and also one that I get asked quite often. Once the surgery is done, the healing process will begin. For this part of the phase, you will have some scabbing (10 days or so), a little bleeding(1st day or 2), and possibly some swelling(Day 2-7, with the most swelling occurring during days 3-5). All of these are very typical and nothing to worry about. This is also the part where you will need to take extra caution around the transplant areas and grafts to allow them to become firmly planted.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neograft healing

1. Swelling after neograft 2-5 days
2. Scabs for 7-10 days
3. Hidden donor area by 10 days
4. Time off from work 2-7 days

Quick and typically painless recovery

the beauty of the FUE procedure such as Neograft or ARTAS is not only minimal pain during the procedure but also minimal recovery. Most if not all patients experience little or no pain. Swelling is also minimal . The scabs usually fall off a week after the procedure and people usually return to work at this point. Transplanted hair typically sheds and starts growing again in 3-4 months. Full growth may take up to 1 year.
If you are considering the procedure make sure it is done by an experienced center - please evaluate before after photos these are your best guide

Top 5 things to expect after Neograft Hair Transplant

Here are the top five things you should expect right after the Neograft surgery.
  1. The healing process for FUE hair transplant is relatively fast.
  2. You should expect to have swelling and discomfort for the first few days but the pain will gradually subside over the following weeks. 
  3. The pain is not extreme, but the donor and transplant sites will be sore. 
  4. There will likely be scabbing at both sites, which should flake off in within 1-2 weeks. 
  5. The extent of discomfort will partially depend on the amount of hair to be extracted and then transplanted. The more hair that is transplanted, the more discomfort you will likely feel. However, this discomfort is very mild.
Because the NeoGraft FUE system is so efficient, there is minimal downtime. Most patients only need one day after the procedure to rest before returning to their normal activities. Immediately after the procedure, it is recommended that the patient has someone to drive him or her home from the office. There will be some discomfort but not great pain. The first 1-3 days will focus on protecting the graft sites to reduce chances of disruption. The grafts will be slightly raised in the first 1-2 weeks after implantation. Approximately 3 days after the procedure, the graft sites may begin to scab. For this reason, it is important to care for the hair and implantation sites gently, especially during showering. The grafts will also need protection from wind and sun exposure, so as not to disrupt them during healing.

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

NeoGraft Recovery and Healing

Recovery from a NeoGraft Hair Transplant procedure only takes a couple of days.  As a follicular unit extraction, or FUE, method, the NeoGraft system affords ideal candidates great cosmetic results with no sutures, staples, unsightly linear scars.  Because the entire procedure is performed in my practice under a local anesthetic, patients are typically very comfortable throughout and after their procedure with none of the downtime that the traditional strip method hair transplant used to require.  

With that said, patients can experience some swelling from the local anesthesia, that may persist for roughly one week.  I believe that recovery is largely variable from patient to patient and depends upon how large the session is, where you are having the grafts placed, and surgical expertise and precision.  Most of my patients return to work in about a week but are going about their normal daily activities, with the exception of exercise and heavy lifting, the very next day.  

Despite the fact that most surgeons who utilize the NeoGraft technology recommend that patients make sure to
'baby' the scalp for the first two weeks, surgeons still have their own specific recovery protocols and patients should make sure to discuss these with their doctor.  I hope you find this helpful.

NeoGraft Healing Process

Our patients are able to return to work the next day and we encourage medication for discomfort as a measure of insurance. There is a 1-2 week recovery time followed by another 1-2 weeks until the shedding process begins. After shedding the new growth will begin in 3-4 months and your hair will continue to grow naturally and most importantly, your results will look healthy and natural.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon