Really Unattractive Scars, Swelling and Redness After Thigh Lift What Can I Do?

I had a thigh lift in Florida about 12 weeks ago. My right leg has a long, wide ugly scar. This suture line opened after the surgery. It makes me feel deformed. Is there anything that can be done. The scar is hot to the touch. I really need some help. I also have a huge protrusion at the end of my knee. Looks like my knee does a right turn. It was a seroma at one time. How long will the swelling last.

Thigh lift problems

Really need a photograph to understand your problem.  Was this a lateral thigh lift or an inner thigh lift?  Given time and once everything heals scar revisions are possible.  

The Management Of Thigh Lift Scars

It's not unusual for patients to be concerned about scarring following thigh lift surgery. This concern is related to the length of the incisions and the inability to easily hide them.

A variety of maneuvers have been utilized to minimize scarring. These include techniques designed to decrease tension on the wound closure, examples include steri-strips, silicone scar sheeting and compressive support devices.

Massage of scars with a variety of topical agents has been shown to be helpful as well. It's also important to avoid sun exposure and tanning. In the occasional patient who develops hypertrophic scarring, steroid injections may be helpful, as well. When adverse scarring occurs despite these maneuvers, scar revision is occasionally necessary.

In your particular case, scarring isn't your only concern. The presence of redness, warmth and swelling along your incision suggests the presence of infection. It's important to understand that infection can adversely impact wound healing and worsen scars. For this reason, it's important that infection be evaluated and treated as soon as possible.

It's also important to remember that wound remodeling occurs for at least 12 to 18 months following surgery. If you're concerned about infection and scarring following thigh lift surgery, it's important to contact your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment that addresses your concerns.

Thigh Lift Scars

Thigh lift scars get significantly better after about 6 months. The areas that separated are likely wider and would benefit from revision in the future.  The swelling at the knee should be evaluated. It can represent a seroma or lymphocele which requires treatment. Consult a Plastic Surgeon in your area with experience with thigh lifts.

Swelling after thigh lift

Sometimes the thigh lift incisions can heal poorly with wide or hypertrophic scars. The swelling is definitely a seroma and should be drained. The swelling in both legs will last 9-12 months. You can always have a scar revision which usually always results in a better scar. In the meantime try taping the incisions with paper tape or use silicone cream to reduce the scarring. 

Scars

How we scar after trauma or surgery depend on many factors. How the wound healed, any complications?, location of the scar, How the scar was repaired, and most important is genetically how we are programed to form scars.  It seems that it is early to judge on your scars,. Scar take about one year to settle down and mature. Unless there is a major problem with the scar, it is wise to give it time. If there is a major problem then one can revise the scar earlier. You need to discuss all the elements of the scar with your surgeon that you do not like. It is not unusual to have puffiness at the end of the scar, near the knee, that may require to wait for all the swelling to go away. If it persists then liposuction of the puffy area and scar revision may improve it.