Thigh Lift Scar and Hanging Skin? (photo)

I had thigh lift surgery in Florida about 3 months ago. I have the following questions: 1. I had a seroma and the area around the seroma is still massively swollen, is that normal? 2. My suture line opened and now I have a patch of dry, kinda scabby white skin right in the center of the suture opening. Is that normal and is there anything I can do to help it heal? 3. I still have hanging skin in my upper thigh. Can it still be swelling or is it just a less than great result?

Complications Following Thigh Lift Surgery

It appears that you've had an extremely complicated course following your thigh lift surgery. In the post-operative period, you've had seroma formation, wound breakdown, adverse scarring and residual loose skin of the upper thighs.

Although your pictures are helpful, it's difficult to make a specific recommendation without a physical examination. Your history and pictures suggest residual bilateral upper thigh skin and scars that may be less than optimal. In addition, there's a bulge above your knee which may represent a recurrent seroma. This particular problem should be investigated in further detail. Under these circumstances, serial sequential aspirations may be necessary depending upon the results of these studies.

Wound healing is a dynamic process and lasts for 6 to 12 months. During this period of time, your scars may improve and your skin may tighten. Despite these changes, I'm concerned that this won't be enough to address your residual upper thigh skin laxity. Under these circumstances, an upper thigh lift revision may be necessary.

It's important that you maintain close contact with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to address your concerns and alleviate your anxiety.

Post op Thigh Lift

Good Afternoon , 

Well seromas to tend to happen post surgery however they can be prevented with proper recovery avoiding moving around too much following you indications to the dot. It is normal to be swollen but in is mayority it my be the accumulation of liquid.

As for the suture opening I do not properly know your case but I do recommend going to your plastic surgeon so he can check it out and give you a answer and a way to heal and also I recommend going as soon as you can just to avoid any infection. 

Results are not seen from the 6th month or 1 year so it is still to soon to see any final results. 

Luis Suarez, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Thigh lift three month ago.

To have "massive swelling" around the site of a seroma probably is not the norm.  Are you sure there is no more fluid in the area?  I am not able to view this in the pictures.  The one scar pictured looks to be raised suggesting hypertrophic scarring.  Kenalog (steroid) injections in the scar may help reduce the scar and flatten.  The results are dependent upon the procedure performed.  Were there incisions in the groin and down medial thigh?   If you have additional questions that your surgeon is not answering to your satisfaction, seek a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Thigh lift result

It appears that you had a vertical inner thigh lift and still have redundant skin of the upper inner thighs.  I am not sure if you had a groin type incision as well.   There would seem to be an ability to revise the scars and tighten the skin.  

Thigh Lift

The pictures are too small and too close Can not see the problem......................................................