Lip fillers for a small mouth - can it be done? (photo)

Hi, I've attached some photos of my lips. I feel like my mouth is disproportionately small, especially as I have a large and flat nose in comparison. My lips also do not have volume and no projection from the side. To me my mouth looks really tiny and unfeminine - would lip fillers improve the look of my mouth? I just want a more balanced and youthful look to my face. I am only 22 but I look a lot older. I want to look more feminine as well. What do you recommend?

Lip Fillers for Small Mouth

Thank you for sharing your questions and photos. Yes, lip fillers can be done for smaller lips. However, as you mentioned, it is important to maintain facial balance and harmony. In my practice, I have had excellent success using soft hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane Silk. I usually recommend that my patients start with 1 syringe and then add more as needed. I recommend consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is an experienced injector. 

Lip fillers can be very effective solutions for thin or disproportionate lips.

Thanks for your question. From your picture and the description of your goals, it appears that you could be a good candidate for lip fillers to add some extra volume and balance out your natural features. I suggest consulting a cosmetic surgeon experienced with dermal filler injections, who can provide you with an individual assessment and custom-tailor lip injections based on your goals. Lip fillersare temporary, lasting several months to 1 year. To maintain more voluminous lips, you’ll need to schedule routine lip filler treatments.

Gordon Andan, MD
New York General Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question in regards to lip augmentation. Hyaluronic acid based fillers such as Juvederm would be a great start to adding volume to your lips. Although lip fillers are temporary, HA fillers can be dissolved if you end up not liking your results. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

You should start out with 1cc of juvederm filler and go from there. You do not want to overdo too much filler in the lips. It also depends on the look you are going for too. You can always add more filler to the lips if needed. Just remember if you are going to do your lips and you do not want to bruise you should not take any aspirins or anything that will thin the blood since brusing can occur.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat

Fillers, implants and surgery can be used to augment the lip. I suggest a formal consultation to determine what is best. Dr. Emer.

Lip augmentation?

Hello, and thanks for your question.

I do think you would be a good candidate for lip augmentation with a hyaluronic acid filler. I ususally prefer a softer filler such as Restylane Silk. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend only getting treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Best of luck, Dr. Frucht. 

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip fillers for a small mouth - can it be done?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Dermal fillers can be placed in women with smaller lips and will often lead to a more rapid increase in overall volume.  Your pictures do not demonstrate an appreciably small mouth so be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your exact concerns to have the best treatment recommendations made.