Can Botox resolve unrest lip and wrinkled chin? (photos)

I believe I have a "orange peel skin" on my chin after doing research on it on realself. My chin has dimples when I close my lips. I think I also have lip incompetence, because my lip struggles to close. The only time my chin is relaxed is when my mouth is slightly open.I heard botox is the best solution for this problem so I was wondering how much this would cost approximately? Also, what is the difference between a plastic surgeon and a Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon? -Leti

Botox for orange peel appearance on the chin

Thank you for your question clk225. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the lower face a small amount of Botox can be placed in the mentalis muscle on the chin which address dimples, or the orange peel appearance.The difference between a plastic surgeon and an oral maxillofacial surgeon has to do with the training. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox for chin dimpling

Yes, Botox is a great treatment option for chin dimpling or the peau d'orange appearance you describe. This is caused by contraction of the mentalis muscle (a muscle in the chin). This muscle can be relaxed with Botox injection, usually 6-9 units required per treatment. I also noticed based on your profile view that your chin may benefit from some additional volume which can be added with fillers. Often times, adding volume with a filler such as Juvederm Ultra or Volume will improve the dimpling without Botox. The Botox would then be the icing on the cake. 

This is a pretty standard injectable case. Go to someone who does a lot of them. I am always available to answer any other questions you may have. 

-Dr. Patel

Chin Wrinkles -- Botox and Filler

I suggest seeing an expert, this can be treated with fillers and botox if injected meticuously.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Can Botox resolve unrest lip and wrinkled chin?

Yes, this area can be treated with Botox only by someone who is very experience like a Board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon . I recommend Dr. Leslie Baumann. Good luck.

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Chin and lip for Botox

Botox could help a little but you would do better with a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon and get a definitive treatment. Plastic surgery specialty is different path from ENT but some ENT which is ear nose and throat also specialize in cosmetic surgery and called facial plastic surgeons

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

A combination of Botox and filler works best

The reason you are struggling to close your mouth is because of your regressive chin, or hypoplastic (small) mandible, the bone in chin area. The muscle overlying the bone in chin tries to compensate by constant contraction, resulting in the dimpled skin and wrinkles, which will deepen over time. Although Botox is effective in treatment of chin dimples due to relaxing of underlying muscle, in your case this will exacerbate your inability to close your mouth. 
I recommend treatment with a filler in the chin, such as radiasse or restylane lift, to correct the volume loss in the chin, followed by a small dose of Botox or dysport. This is a very effective treatment, but temporary, lasting 6 months to a year(with more frequent touch ups for Botox). you can achieve more permanent results by getting a surgical chin implant, but I always recommend fillers first as a non-permanent, more affordable and safe alternative.
best of luck!

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

Yes - you can get it removed!

You have a retrussive chin and in all likelihood an overbite.  I would suggest a consultation with an oral surgeon to see if there is anything that can be done to correct your bite and take some stress off your chin.

Botox will help, but it is only a temporary fix that would last 3-4 months at best.

An oral surgeon is typically a dentist (many of whom are dual degreed - DMD,MD) who does additional training in diseases/conditions and abnormalities of the mouth and jaws (among others) while a plastic surgeon is a surgeon the does reconstructive surgery.  There is certainly some overlap. 

Dx is gummy smile with dental issues & rippled chin effect. micro Botox injections would help if one in a few low dose sessions over 2 to 3 weeks. Fee in the $1,000 ranges. The difference between Oral Maxilla Facial surgeon and Plastic Surgeon is not much but the PS can operate upon ALL areas of the body.face!