Does it Normally Take 7-8 Hours for Mommy Makeover? Should I do TT and Breast Red. Separately?

i am a 35 year old female 2 children the last one by c-section i need to have a breast reduction and lift due to medical problems so i ask the doctor if is ok to do a tummy tuck at the same time he say is ok but i will be under anesthecia for about 7 to 8 hours that bothers me I am in general good health do you think there is a big risk? should I do the 2 procedures separately the recovery will be long and painfull?

Surgical time for mommy makeover and safety

Potential complications/risks of surgery increase with a longer surgical time.  However, if you are young and healthy and proper precaution is taken before, during, and after surgery, mommy makeover can be done safely.  Surgical time to perform breast reduction and TT depends on your surgeon's speed and your body.  Please discuss all potential risks/complications/alternatives with your plastic surgeon.

Surgical Safety

Surgical times for mommy makeover surgery vary from patient to patient and depend upon a multitude of variables. It’s important to realize that no two mommy makeover patients are ever exactly alike. When patients undergo this type of combination surgery safety should be everyone’s first priority.

For this reason, we believe that the length of the procedure should never exceed four to six hours. Complications from surgery increase significantly when these number are exceeded.

When the anticipated length of the procedure is longer than five to six hours, it might be appropriate to modify the surgical approach. An experienced surgeon and surgical team that focuses on efficiency can minimize the length of the surgical procedure. We often use another surgeon as a first assistant to help with this process. In some cases, it may be necessary to stage the procedures or perform the procedure on an inpatient basis. All of these steps would decrease the risks associated with a procedure that would otherwise take seven to eight hours.

The advantages of combination surgery include improved synergy and harmony which improves the overall aesthetic result. Patients experience one recovery and potentially save money when these procedures are performed in combination.

Despite these advantages, safety still needs to be everyone’s first priority. It’s therefore important to meet with your plastic surgeon and discuss ways to optimize safety while undergoing mommy makeover surgery.

Multiple Procedures Such as In a Mommy Makeover

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. However, the Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Shortening Surgery Time for Mommy Makeover with same great results

Great question - as there are pros and cons whether it is better to have one long procedure with increase risk vs two anesthesia's, two recovery times and two recovery periods. Remember healing for both procedures at the same time is simultaneous not sequential as the latter scenario would require.. Ask your surgeon specifically for his breakdown of the relative merits of each approach.

Putting aside the issue of slower vs faster surgeons; Here are  my personal thouights - You are right, long surgeries especially over 6 hours more or less have the potential for more complications and recovery time. First of all there are ways to minimize the surgical time without influencing the result. For instance, use of an assistant to help sew the final layer (skin edges) can be done by another surgeon, PA or RNFA (nurse first assistant trained to close incisions). This alone can cut down the procedure by 1-2 hours.This is how I do it.  For example the surgeries you mention take me about 4-5 hours to complete and I would recommend this approach.

Length of Surgery Depends on your Surgeon, and After 6 hours, the Risks go Up

Hi there-

The amount of time it takes to complete any operative procedure will depend a lot on the surgeon you choose (some will take a bit longer to complete the same procedure than others).

Also, while there is no "magic number" in terms of the time period which is safe for you to be under anesthesia, it is generally accepted that for healthy people the risks of complications seem to significantly increase after about 6 hours.

If you have selected your surgeon for all of the right reasons (his education, training, experience, skill and talent), then I would say you should divide your procedures into two days. If you are concerned that you perhaps did not choose the best surgeon for yourself, I would take this as another indication it may be good for you to visit other surgeons who may be able to complete both procedures in less time.

Be careful that in the interest of having them both in one operation, you do not compromise your safety and happiness by ending up with a surgeon with less talent and skill... having the procedures done at once is only valuable if you are safe and have a reasonable expectation of a good outcome (which will entirely depend on the skills and talent of your surgeon).

Surgery time for a mommy makeover

8 hours would be quite a long time for those procedures. As many have posted the two can probably be done is less than 5-6 by many plastic surgeons. That said, there is nothing wrong with taking extra time to get excellent results. If you are happy with your surgeon then I'd say do the surgeries in two stages to limit the risk, if you are committed to having them done together then get a second opinion. Good luck! Dr K

7 to 8 hour money makeover surgery.

Thanks for your question. 

As you can see from this forum your safety has to come first.  8 hours is a long time to be on the table for elective cosmetic surgery.  It certainly exceeds the guidelines for ambulatory or outpatient surgery.

While we commonly combine breast reduction with tummy tuck If your surgeon does not feel that he or she can accomplish these two surgeries within a shorter time frame I think it would be prudent to separate them.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

7-8 hour mommy makeover too much in one day

If your surgeon is not able to accomplish the full mommy makeover carefully within 4-5 hours, I would advise that you separate them into 2 surgeries or find another surgeon who can do it in one safely.  The risks rise after 6 hours of surgery in one day.

Does it Normally Take 7-8 Hours for Mommy Makeover?

If you are healthy, then doing the two procedures can be done as long as precautions are taken to avoid blood clot formation in the legs. When one does surgery on the chest and the abdomen, their ability to move around and even get out of a chair or bed is less because you have pain in your abdomen and in you chest. Having the procedures done separately might be safer, but then you will have two recovery periods too. The combined procedure will likely leave you 4-6 weeks until back to normal activity.  

Julio Garcia, MD

Combined or separate tummy tuck and breast reduction?

There is nothing wrong with combining the procedures and many plastic surgeons would recommend it for convenience and a single recovery.

Personally, my appetite for risk with cosmetic procedures is very low and I would separate a full tummy tuck and breast reduction EVERY time.  I separate the procedures by a day or two, breast surgery first.   In my opinion this greatly reduces the surgical risk while not adding much time to the recovery.  My patients find that separating the procedures makes the recovery from each procedure a little easier (the breasts get a day to recover).

I enjoy my sleep and time with my family.  Reducing risks and complications is well worth the inconvenience of separating the procedures.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon