How Severe is the Pain After a Mommy Makeover?

I am asking the questions because I've seen lots of complaints the pain after surgery for a mommy makeover is really painful? And pardon my French but they sound like they been to hell and back. I have a very high tolerance pain level and even when in pain usually don't complain and suck it up. So should I truly be concern with the pain level according to some reviews?

Mommy Makeover Recovery

Mommy makeovers include breast lift, breast implants, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and possibly liposuction. Postoperative pain and discomfort are quiet variable. Most patients say it is comparable or less than a C-section. I describe breast implants like doing “a million” push-ups and abdominoplasty like “a million” sit-ups; patients understand the gym analogy “no pain, no gain”.  Wishing you a uneventful recovery!

Pain after a mommy makeover.

Thanks for your question.

Yes, there is pain with any surgery some more than others. Some patients tolerate it better than others as well.

Operations that involve pushing on or tugging of musles such as muscle tightening tummy tuck or submuscular implants tend to be more uncomfortable than skin or glandular operations such as breast lift or reduction.

Each plastic surgeon will have their own regimen to alleviate post operative pain.  The goal is to make the discomfort tolerable so that you are able to walk and take deep breaths to minimize the risks of complications such as blood clots or pneumonia.

If you have grave concerns you can discuss pain pumps or non muscle tightening as options, It is important that you know what to expect before as well as after your surgery.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Pain after a Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question.  Pain and/or discomfort are subjective sensations and highly variable from patient to patient.  Mommy makeover procedures commonly include breast lifts, breast augmentations, abdominoplasty and liposuction.  Patients will often cite that a typical 'mommy makeover' recovery is comparable or easier than a c-section recovery and each surgeon will provide you with a recommendation and/or medications to alleviate any post-op pain.   Patient's, expecially those with high pain tolerances, typically do quite well and end up saying that they thought that their recovery was going to be much worse than it was, but if you are concerned with post-operative pain I would recommend discussing your concerns with your operating surgeon.  

Mommy Makeover and Breast Augmentation: Recovery and Pain

If your surgeon uses a NO Drain technique and a 24-hour rapid recovery protocol, the pain after a tummy tuck should not be more than what can be controlled with Aleve and maybe some Tylenol. A rapid recovery Mommy Makeover should have you back doing things like being able to go for a long walk, go out to dinner, go shopping or even so a load or two of laundry the next day. You are not healed and there is some discomfort with moving and doing too much or even lifting but you can do these things within reason. Most office workers could go back to work in 4 to 5 days if they want after a breast augmentation and a full tummy tuck.

I have added a video and a web reference for you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Pain After Mommy Makeover

Patients experience a moderate degree of pain and discomfort following mommy makeover procedures. Of course, this will vary based on the extensiveness of the procedure, whether breast augmentation was performed or just a breast lift, and a given patient's pain tolerance. Always stay on top of your pain medications to ensure your pain is properly managed.

Pain Following Mommy Makeover: What to Expect in the Recovery Period

The mommy makeover is one of the largest procedures performed in cosmetic surgery. This procedure has several components. These include breast augmentation, breast lift, abdominoplasty, and liposuction of the hips and thighs. The exact procedure performed in any particular case is dependent upon the specific needs of the individual patient.

Pain tolerance varies from patient to patient and is dependent upon a variety of factors. The vast majority of patients who have mommy makeover surgery describe their pain as moderate. This pain is especially noticeable in the first 24 hours following surgery, but improves rapidly over the next week.

Patients are given narcotic pain relievers in the immediate postoperative period and switched to Tylenol 5 to 7 days postoperatively. It’s not unusual for patients to have pain, which is related to muscle spasm following this procedure. When this situation arises, muscle relaxants are extremely helpful as well.

If you’re concerned about postoperative pain management, it’s important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to develop a plan that addresses your concerns. 

Mommy Makeover Recovery

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.   Your surgeon will determine if you are  a good candidate for a combined procedure based on your health status (past medical history) and your physicial exam.   In addition, your surgeon will determine if an overnight stay at the hospital is warranted.   After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.   So you will definitely need some help with the kids for about 1-2 weeks.   Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.   Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.

Pain after a Mommy Makeover is Highly Variable

Hi there-

There are so many variables that affect the level of pain experienced by any particular patient after a Mommy Makeover, that it is very difficult to answer this question for you...

Your own individual capacity to tolerate pain, the details of the procedures performed, your surgeon's preferences and techniques for the minimization of pain during and after surgery, your adherence to postoperative protocols and instructions will all affect the duration and severity of your pain.

Your best bet is to discuss what you should expect with your surgeon- who is the only one with an understanding of (at least most of) the variables above in your particular situation.

Pain felt after any surgery will vary from patient to patient. At times on websites, you hear about the people that are having pain but the ones that do not are not on the blogs posting things so the percentage might look skewed. In my experience, the pain is well controlled with pain medicine and proper activity levels. By 2 weeks the needs for pain pills should be essentially gone.

Julio Garcia, MD

Pain after a mommy makeover

There are a lot of factors that determine the amount of pain that you are in after a mommy makeover. Tummy tucks and breast augmentations are typically more painful because they generally involve surgery on muscles. Liposuction and breast lifts do not tend to be very painful. Your ability to handle pain can make a huge difference. I find that patients who exercise regularly have less pain after surgery than those who don't. I also like to inject dilute local anesthetic at the time of surgery which can dramatically cut down on your pain for the first several hours after surgery.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon