Is 2 Weeks Enough Time off of Work After a Mommy Makeover?

Recovery depends on you.... and the physical requirements of your job.

The exact amount of time needed after a surgery depends on the specific surgery and physical requirements of your job.  A mommy makeover typically involves breast contouring, tummy tuck, and liposuction.  The tummy tuck is usually the hardest recovery of the three and putting them together makes early recuperation more difficult.  I would definitely plan two weeks off, even for a sedentary job, to ensure you get through that early discomfort.  At that point you should be able to get through a normal day, but will still feel far from ‘over it.’  If your job requires being on your feet a lot, lifting, or strenuous activity, then more time will be required.  If you can have a vigorous job, it is always good to talk to your human relations department or your employer to see what their policy is on light duty or partial days for a while once you return to work.  Some employers will not allow light duty for elective surgery.  If your job does not allow light duty you may need to be ready to take off 6-8 weeks before you can return to fully duty.  Alternatively, if there is a part of your job you can do from home, you may be able to do that as soon as you are off pain medication (approximately 7-10 days post-op).  Do not expect a regular day out of yourself for at least two weeks.  Remember, you are the only one that has to surfer through complications caused by doing too much too soon.

Depends on what procedures you've had

This really depends on what type of procedures you'll have done as part of your mommy makeover. If you have breast surgery and liposuction, then 2 weeks might be okay for sedentary work. However, if you've had a tummy tuck, then I suggest 3 weeks. 

It honestly depends on the job you're returning to...

The answer to this question is entirely dependent upon the patient’s employment.Return to employment will vary from patient to patient depending upon the demands of the job.In some cases, where patients sit at a desk, return to work may be as early as 10 to 14 days following surgery.In other cases where strenuous activity and heavier lifting are required, it may take as long as 6 to 8 weeks.
In some cases, Mommy Makeover surgery may not be an option because of the patient’s employment and limited recovery times.It’s therefore, important to thoroughly discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon before proceeding with surgery.

Is 2 weeks enough time off work after a Mommy Make Over?

Your return to work will depend on what physical demands are associated with your job. Typically a Mommy Makeover is a combination of some type of breast recontouring, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and and liposuction of the hips and thighs. Of these 3 components tummy tuck requires the longest recovery. You should plan on staying home for 2 weeks after a tummy tuck. After that you can begin to reengage many day to day activities. Athletic activities which create stress on the abdominal wall should be carefully reintroduced at 8 weeks progressing to 12 weeks. More aggressive exercises such as sit ups and abdominal crunches should wait for up to 12 weeks. Upper body restrictions will depend on the type of breast surgery performed. If a breast lift, without an augmentation, or a breast reduction is performed it is best not to raise your arms high above your head until healing is achieved. This normally takes up to 3 weeks. Unrestricted upper body activity can normally be resumed at 4 weeks. If an implant is used either for breast augmentation or in conjunction with a breast lift normal day-to-day upper body activities can normally be resumed in 2-4 days. It is best not to lift more than 10-15 pounds for 4 weeks after an implant is placed. Reintroduction of activity following liposuction is dependent on patient tolerance. There are usually no specific restrictions associated with liposuction.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time After Mommy Makeover

I typically advise patients that undergo abdominoplasties with or without breast surgery to take at least two weeks off from work. After two weeks my patients tend to be able to go back to a job that is not too physically taxing, however they may still feel tired sooner than normal. You should not be lifting or engage in very physical type of work after only two weeks.

James Green, MD
Santa Fe Plastic Surgeon

Keys to a quick recovery from mommy makeover surgery

With modern techniques, two-weeks should be plenty of time to recover from mommy makeover surgery. Today surgery is performed using minimally traumatic techniques along with liberal use of local anesthetics and in the case of abdominoplasty, a pain pump. It used to be common practice to tell people they could not lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks after surgery. I routinely have people lifting their children within a week of surgery with no difficulties.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery?

No, I do not think that 2 weeks is enough time off work after mommy makeover,  no matter what kind of work you do. I think you should plan for at least 3 to 4 weeks off. I think it is much better to take additional time off then to go back to work too soon....

You should realize that you are about to embark on major surgery.  Some words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Recovery After a Mommy Makeover

This is a tough question because it really depends upon what you do for work.  If you have a NO DRAIN tummy tuck and let's say a breast augmentation, which would be the usual mommy makeover, and you had a rapid recovery protocol, then you would be able to be back to a desk job in a matter of days.  If you have physically strenuous job, then it will be longer.  If you had your muscles tightened, I suggest no heavy lifting for 4 to 6 weeks after your mommy makeover. 

I  have added a video of a woman who had a breast lift and a tummy tuck with muscle tightening.  She talks about how she was able to do things the next day and had no narcotics either.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Two Weeks is Usually Enough Time away from Work after Mommy Makeover

Hi there-

Unless your job involves a lot of walking or physical exertion, two weeks should be more than enough time off of work after your Mommy Makeover, but as people vary in their tolerances and recovery rates, you will need to consider your knowledge of your self and your work situation as well.

Recovery time from mommy makeover

The recovery time from a mommy makeover is between 9 days and two weeks.  However,  there are still restrictions on what type of activities you can do after that time. 

I use the term "mini mommy makeover" for a combination of breast surgery with a mini-tummy tuck.  Our patients take 9 days off for this procedure.

A full tummy tuck with breast surgery requires two weeks off from work.  Our experience is that patients can always go back to work earlier if they are doing well, but it is better to plan for two weeks off.