TCA Peel Post Op?

Hi, I'm getting done a 35% TCA Peel. What are some of the things I can do to limit complications, and to get good results? Also, can I take a shower and wash my face? And are there any over the counter moisturizers, creams, or things that could be beneficial to get?

TCA peel - what about after care?

Thank you for asking about your TCA peel.
  • First - your surgeon should give you instructions. Follow them.
  • I tell my patients to keep the skin dry, apply a tiny bit of moisturizer if needed and don't pick the skin off!
  • Your face will begin to peel in about 5 days and be finished in about 14 -
  • You can trim loose skin with scissors but picking off the peel can cause scarring or prolonged redness.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

TCA peel aftercare

Thank you for your question Austinou88. TCA peels work well for skin rejuvenation. It is important to carefully follow the aftercare instructions. These are the aftercare instructions I provide for my patients:Please avoid heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours after the treatment. Heat refers to going out in the hot sun, if it were to be hot outdoors, but also any hot environments indoors, like a hot bath, sauna, or steam room. Also avoid hot or spicy foods or drinks like soup, hot coffee, or hot tea because all of these things will bring blood to your skin and cause problem like redness, blister, and discolorations. Please avoid harsh rubbing or scrubbing on the skin for one week after the treatment. Avoid products like washcloths or the Clarisonic brush. When in the shower avoid direct water contact from the showerhead. Just be gentle on your skin. Please avoid makeup for several days after the treatment because your skin will be sensitive. And you may be red for a few days after the treatment. Redness is normal, don't be alarmed. Feel free to apply cold compresses to your skin to keep you comfortable, if necessary. Sometimes the dark spots can get darker before they get lighter; this is normal. Make sure you're applying sunscreen every day.Most people will peel on days three to five after the treatment, but everyone is different. Some people don't people at all. That's ok, the goal is not to peel, it is to get results. Those people are actually getting the exfoliation, but it is microscopic, so you don't see it. If you do get visible peeling, please don't pick at it, because this will cause problems like redness, blisters, and discolorations. Apply a thin layer of intense moisturizer such as Vaseline or Aquaphor to help with the healing process. This goes on best on a wet surface. By one week, the new skin has formed. It is refreshed and rejuvenated, and you will see improvements in color, texture, and tone.I recommend an initial series of three to six treatments at four to eight week intervals. After that maintenance treatments are done once every three to six months.Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

35% TCA Peel

Results are dependent on your skin care and the physician performing the procedure to ensure this is done properly. I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.