How can my failed Diastasis Recti repair be fixed? Doc said my anchor popped loose. It looked good post-op, but not now (Photo)

I had polyhydramnious during my pregnancy, which caused a large supraumbilical diastasis recti & small umbilical hernia. In August 2013, I had this repaired (no tuck). The surgeon said he would do a corset stitch and use mesh. 6 months after my surgery, I had a violent coughing spell, which it felt like I had tearing. As the weeks went on, my midline anchors felt like they were pulling & one by one, popped loose. Now it doesn't look like I ever had the surgey done. Is this a hopeless cause?

Rectus diastasis and failed repair

It sounds as though ytour case is a little more complex.  You will need to get a couple of consultations from experienced plastic surgeons.  It would be helpful to know what kind of mesh was used, how large a piece, where it was placed and how it was sutured in.  Generally speaking, you hate to make Plan B the same as Plan.  Unfortuntately, for cases of sever abdominal laxity, mesh is often needed.  There are several types of mesh and perhaps a different type may be needed.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Revision surgery

It sounds and looks like you need to be evaluated by the surgeon that performed the surgery for the possibility of a revision.

How can my failed Diastasis Recti repair be fixed?

Thank you for your question.  I think you would benefit from a full abdominoplasty and muscle plication. I think that it would be a good idea to use mesh over your repair, since you have already had a failure. Having the details of your previous surgery would be very helpful in planning.  Hope this helps.

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Farr rectus diastasis repair

This is not hopeless. But it will require another full repair under anesthesia. There is no other way to deal with this bulge. 

Recurrent diastasis

I do not believe yours to be a hopeless cause. I think that you would have an excellent result with abdominoplasty and muscle plication with the use of mesh. I would definitely like to see the details of your initial operation. 

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Hope for you

Definitely there is hope for you. I am absolutely sure you will be benefited with a Tummy tuck and muscle repair in order to fix the two conditions: the protruding abdomen due to the loose muscle as a result of your pregnancy and also to get rid of the saggy skin. 
I am a total believer that your own tissues will be more than enough to create the perfect internal corset with your muscle fascia and make your abdomen tight and firm. This will also help to create a nice waist.
I envision an awesome result. I have done several times 8 inches muscle repair on patients with significant diastasis with awesome results. 
Be encouraged.
Dr. Cardenas

Failed muscle repair from abdominal muscle repair

Hi Llynv13

I would recommend a full tummy tuck to resolve the problem.  I think that the mesh may likely need to be removed, and depending on the condition of your strength layer, it may  be possible to get a superior result without the mesh.  On the other hand, you may need new mesh placed.

Your original procedure was not a tummy tuck.  You have a lot of loose hanging skin that would be eliminated and your shape greatly improved with a full tummy tuck.

sek