Will a diastasis recti repair assist with decreasing lower back pain because of a weak core and will Tricare pay for it?

I have degenerative disc disease from an injury which causes back pain. Since my last pregnancy I have a diastasis recti which increased my pain, and caused hip and pelvic pain. I've been in PT for months, had steroid injections, and am diagnosed with depression because of my pain. A general surgeon said that I do have a bulge and an opening but a repair isn't really needed but I should see a plastic surgeon. Will a repair decrease my pain and since there's an underlying issue, will Tricare pay?

Back pain and abdominoplasty.

An abdominoplasty and diastases repair is a cosmetic procedure only. It's goal is to accomplish improve abdominal contour. There's no scientific data that supports it's improve back pain. Therefore it will not be covered by typical third-party payers. 

Hi. Repair of a rectus diastasis will not correct the lower back pain and will not be covered by insurance. Good luck.

Will a diastasis recti repair assist with decreasing lower back pain because of a weak core and will Tricare pay for

Very difficult to give a Yes or No respons without an in person examination. As for possible insurance coverage, in today's market it is VERY VERY doubtful there will be any coverage... 

Back pain helped by rectus diastasis repair

Many women with a rectus diastasis, especially over 5 cm, will have lower back pain. The etiology of back pain may be multi factorial and no plastic surgeon should ever promise you the pain will definitely go away when the rectus is fixed. If you are having problems doing sit ups, holding your body in plank position, and can barely stand up with good posture at the end of the day, chances are good your diastasis is getting the better of you. No insurers here in southern california will cover a diastasis, only true hernias, no matter how much we try.

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Will a diastasis recti repair assist with decreasing lower back pain because of a weak core?

Most likely a repair of rectus diastasis will not affect your lower back pain. Possibly but unlikely.  This concern is a cosmetic one and not medically necessary so no insurance would cover something like this.  Please make sure that you consult with board certified plastic surgeons with experience performing this type of surgery. Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon