Does OHIP cover the surgery required for diastasis recti with an umbilical hernia? ( In Ottawa)

I was diagnosed with an diastasis recti causing an umbilical hernia I developed this after being pregnant. I am always in sever pain in my lower back and stomach. I feel sick all the time, and it is inter fearing with my everyday life. I am a single mother of a toddler and in college in the medical field. I am missing school all the time because of pain I cant do the things I want to do with my son cause im so weak all the time and in pain. I am not covered by any plan because I am a student. Help?

OHIP coverage of rectus diastasis

Thanks for your inquiry.  Umbilical hernia repair is always an OHIP-covered procedure but rectus diastasis repair is not a listed procedure.  This means that the surgeon must apply for coverage on a case-by-case basis.  In my experience having applied to OHIP for diastasis repairs on behalf of my patients, the coverage has been declined.  However, each application is unique so perhaps in your case there will be a different outcome.  I hope this provides some guidance.

Is diastasis repair covered by national health

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

I am so sorry you are going through this.

OHIP is likely to cover repair of the umbilical hernia.
It is unlikely to cover repair of the diastasis of the rectus muscles unless it is the cause of the pain.
The pain may be from a large hernia or it may have another cause that needs to be promptly investigated.
It would be  unlikely to be caused by a diastasis, except in unusual circumstances.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.