Is there a specific BMI or body fat percentage you have to meet?

I've lost about 60lbs and I'm still over weight. My skin is getting irritated and inflamed I want to have the extra removed.

Is there a specific BMI or bodyfat percentage you have to meet?

One rule of thumb is to be 10-15lbs close to your realistic goal weight.  I often ask patients what they will weight in a year.  Keep in mind most cases closer to their ideal weight have better results. Ideally, one should have a BMI 30 or less how ever some patients may benefit  "removal of abdominal skin/ fat" without muscle tightening BMI 40 or higher may have to ask their surgeon what he/she is comfortable with. 

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Specific BMI for Plastic Surgery

There are more surgical and anesthesia risks associated with a higher BMI. As cosmetic plastic surgery is elective, it's best to be at your optimum health when undergoing surgery. This includes being at a healthy weight for your height. Surgery can be postponed until this transpires. There is no specific BMI or body fat percentage, but in general, plastic surgeons tend to opt for a BMI 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. your BMI cant be over 32 for plastic surgery, I recommend to make a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to know more about your conditions and BMI. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Mommy Makeover

Congrats on your weight loss! To achieve the best possible results, you will want to be at your goal weight prior to having surgery. Contact a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Best of luck!

Mommy Makeover - Weight loss first?

Thank you for your question.  I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Cosmetic surgery and BMI

Thank you for asking about your panniculectomy.

• Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • You should be at your goal weight before having your surgery -
  • Otherwise, if you lose more weight, you may have to have it done again.
  • In general, for best results a patient's BMI would be 30 or lower
  • A lot of cosmetic surgery is done on women with BMIs of 30 - 35 -
  • And depending on the situation, surgery can be done at much higher BMIs, although risks rise with BMI.
  • What about a consultation with a plastic surgery to see if a panniculectomy is fine nor or if you might be better waiting for a while.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Surgery and BMI

You don't mention what surgery you are considering so I will assume it is to do with the abdomen. You can have the lower fold removed, a panniculectomy, anytime, but if you want a cosmetic tummy tuck you should have your BMI below 30. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss. In general it is best to have a BMI below 30 but not for every person this is possible. It is best to send a few photos to your surgeon of choice to see what he/she feels. best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD