Advil after surgery?

I had a mommy makeover on Wednesday. I don't need the pain meds anymore but have menstral cramps and back pain, can I take Advil?

Advil after surgery

Every PS will have a different answer to this question so check with your plastic surgeon!  I typically allow patients to take advil or motrin 5-7 days after surgery (after their first postoperative visit).    

Advil after surgery

It depends on the other medications you are taking, so you will need to check with your surgeon. If for instance you are on lovenox for DVT prophylaxis, I would avoid Advil until you are off of that medication. However if you are not on any anticoagulant, it is safe to take Advil after the first day. Tylenol is safe to take even if you are on an anticoagulant.

W. John Bull, MD

Advil after surgery?

Advil is the other name for ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is a member of the NSAID family. NSAIDs can cause you to bleed more and therefore it is recommended to stay away from these type of medications for ~2 weeks after surgery. It is best to take Tylenol if you are not already taking that as part of your pain medication (ie. hydrocodone/tylenol). 

Advil After Mommy Makeover?

This is something you should check with your surgeon about. For my patients, I want them to avoid all blood thinners (including Advil) for 2 weeks before and two weeks after surgery. However, Tylenol is allowed. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Advil is OK to take post operatively

There are certain medications to avoid before and after surgery because they increase the incidence of bleeding.  Advil (Ibuprofen) is one of them.  I have my patients stop Advil 2 weeks prior to surgery and may resume taking it 3 days after surgery.  Since you are past the 3 days from the initial procedure, I would allow you to take the Advil.  However, I would check with your plastic surgeon first before taking this medication.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. In general you an take pain relief afterwards . Always ask your surgeon if there are restrictions with various brands. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Hello, thanks for your question.  Generally tylenol (acetaminophen) is recommended for the first week or so after surgery.  There is a risk that Advil and other medications in the NSAID class (e.g. ibuprofen, naproxen) can cause bleeding due to their interaction with your body's clotting process (inhibiting platelets).  I recommend that you call the office of your surgeon and see when they are comfortable with you resuming ibuprofen and other medications. Have a great day!

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician

Post operative care

Thank you for your question.  As each surgeon has their own unique set of post operative instructions, it is always best to consult with your surgeon first.  That being said, in our practice we advise patients to avoid taking any blood thinning agents, such as seafood, ibuprofen, aspirin, advil, etc for a minimum of 2-3 weeks post surgery.

With kind regards, 

Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S. 

Lane Smith, MD

Would need more medical information about you to be able to answer this better. In general it should be fine for you to take advil in the absence of other concerns, but this is an easy one to pick up the phone and ask your surgeons office.  Usually there is a medical assistant that can help with this because they will likely have a specific game plan just for you.  Hope this helps.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Ibuprofen post op use

Hello and thank you for reaching out. I suggest that my patients wait until at least two weeks after their surgery to resume ibuprofen use. Using anytime of OTC ibuprofen, aspirin, etc could make you tend to bruise more and increase your risk of a hematoma following your procedure. Follow up with your surgeon to see their specific instructions. Best Wishes.