Should I postpone mommy makeover if I lost 2 pints of blood in a different surgery 12 days prior to scheduled makeover?

I had bladder surgery a week ago and the surgeon accidentally cut through a large pelvic varicose vein. I lost 2 pints of blood. I feel almost back to normal now, just get a little light headed if I get up too quickly. Very similar to being pregnant. I am wondering if it will be a problem to go under anesthesia for 6 hours without having a full amount of red blood cells in my body. Thanks!

Postpone Mommy Makeover?

A lot of blood can be lost from a lacerated pelvic vein, even more than two pints. So it would not be surprising for your blood count (hematocrit) to be low. The fact that you get lightheaded when getting up is an indication that your blood count is still low. That would definitely be a reason to reschedule a long operation like a mommy makeover. At minimum you should have your blood count rechecked to be sure that it is within normal range before proceeding with the surgery.

Should I have a mommy makeover after another surgery two weeks ago?

Having 2 surgeries with 2 general anesthetics so close together is not recommended  for many reasons. This is particularly the case if your first surgery had a complication such as you describe, and also when either operation is a relatively long procedure.

In addition to a lower hemoglobin level due to blood loss, you are at risk for more significant complications. "Mommy makeover" surgery  has an increased risk of deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in your deep veins that can travel to the lungs and be fatal). Having your pelvic surgery, especially with the complication you describe)  increases your risk of deep vein thrombosis.

I do not recommend that you have surgery so soon and that you fully discuss all of this with your plastic surgeon in order to minimize your risk. 

Orna Fisher, MD

Postponing surgery after blood loss

Thank you for your question. I would definitely recommend postponing your surgery for at least a month and doing a complete blood count prior to surgery. A long cosmetic procedure 3 weeks after a major complicated surgery may result in a longer recovery time, higher chance of blood transfusions, and wound complications. Best of Luck  

Shady Hayek, MD
Lebanon Plastic Surgeon

Postpone elective cosmetic surgery at least 30 days after other surgical procedures

We recommend to our patients that elective cosmetic surgery, like a mommy makeover procedure, be delayed until at least 30 days after other procedures that involve the use of anesthesia.

Should I postpone mommy makeover

Thanks for your question. My recommendation is to postpone this ELECTIVE cosmetic procedure for 6-8 weeks. Allow your body to recover from the recent stress of major blood loss. You will need all of your strength for optimal healing and recovery after your 6 hour makeover. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

My gut answer is it sounds like that is too soon. If you area having symptoms of dizziness why would you ever go through with an elective procedure. You want your body to be in absolute tip top shape before you even consider surgery. Thats just me, I am pretty conservative and logical about this stuff. It is not normal for you to be dizzy. It means your body has not recovered yet. So if you were my family member I would tell you now way. Just one doctors opinion. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

You definitely need to contact your PS to see what they feel comfortable with. I personally would want new labs (ones taken after your other surgery) to see where your hemoglobin is. For elective cosmetic plastic surgery we do require that you hemoglobin be above a certain level (this varies from procedure to procedures as there is more blood loss with some than others).

Blood loss before planned surgery

Thanks for your inquiry. If you were my patient I would not want you to have lost that much blood before an elective operation.  Make sure your plastic surgeon knows what happened and get a lab test to check your hemoglobin.  Good Luck.  

Postpone your surgery.

There is no reason to put yourself at excess risk for elective surgery. It usually will take a month or so for you to build up that reserve a blood cells. The fact that you were still lightheaded when you stand up is concerning. That means that you were still quite low on blood. Talk to your surgeon and postpone.

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Safety of six-hour surgery after blood loss from bladder surgery?

A six-hour anesthetic and surgery as a risk of complications that would only be amplified by your being anemic and recovering from recent pelvic surgery.  If you are my patient I would definitely not proceed until your blood count was back to normal and you are at normal activity levels.  I would exercise caution if I were you.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD