Does firm thick skin not get as dramatic improvement from facelift as thin damaged skin would??

I have well cared for, sun protected, non smoking skin. I mentioned that while I don't want to look like someone else, dramatic improvement would be good. The doctor said I would not get as much improvement in the neck area as someone with thinner, more wrinkled, damaged skin would. And showed me picture examples. This is disappointing and doesn't seem like it could be correct? And I have a short neck I guess so will still have fat under there? Things that make you go hmm..

Does firm thick skin not get as dramatic improvement from facelift as thin damaged skin would?

Results from facelifts depend on multiple factors and the goal should be the best possible natural looking improvement, not the most dramatic, which may look unnatural.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what kind of result you can achieve without seeing photos and without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

facelift candidate for neck improvement

The thickness of the skin  does not usually determine the result of the neck component of a facelift. There 3 anatomical components in the neck have to be addressed during a face lift procedure which are excess fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle in the neck, loose facial and neck muscles, and loose facial and neck skin. A comprehensive lower face and neck lift tightens excess skin, tightness and neck muscles and removes fatty deposits  in the neck. For many examples, please see the link below

The better the skin the better the facelift.

.This is a simple one. The better the skin the better the result will be. Sun damage, smoking damage, and accelerated aging due to genetics adds up to a sub optimal result

Healthy skin worse for face lifts?

A healthy skin is ideal for having a face lift. healing is better and so are results.
Neck improvement depends on the amount of fat present, the length of the neck and muscle.
You should still see improvement, although it may not be a tight, etched neck.

Face lift

I would recommend having an additional consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon.  The neck can be dramatically improved in people with thick skin by addressing not only the subcutaneous fat but also the fat underneath the muscle as well as platysmal muscle tightening. 

Lucy Barr, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

While you may not get as dramatic a result as some other patients, that doesn't mean that a facelift is not worthwhile in your case.  The cast majority of facelift oatients are quite pleased with their results and many I refer a more subtle result anyway.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Thick skin and facelifts

Every face can show improvement. Some more dramatic than others. Your doctor is right, thicker skin is less mobile and will not demonstrate as big an improvement as you might like. So the key is to set your expectations properly. With the right expectations, plastic surgery can work for anybody. (Next time post a picture for more detailed advice). I wish you the best. DrA

Arnold Almonte, DO
Roseville Plastic Surgeon

Thick skin

There are a myriad of factors to consider, and since you don't have photos,it is IMPOSSIBLE to address your specific situation.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Facelift results for thin vs thick skin.

Facelift results for thin vs thick skin. There are too many factors involved to give you a proper answer without seeing photos. 

Good that your doctor showed you photos, but you have  not showed us any and until you do there is absolutely no way we can comment on your appearance and what might help it.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD