Is bruising due to how the fillers are injected? Is there a right way & wrong way to administer the fillers? (Photo)

I've had Restelayne & Dysport injections in the past with no bruising. Recently I went to someone else for Botox & Juvederm injections & I have bruises everywhere I was injected. Were the injections done incorrectly? It's been 4 days and the bruises look the same as they did 3 days ago. They didn't show up until the day after the injections.

Bruising After Injections

Unfortunately bruising and swelling is a common side effect of fillers. Avoiding blood thinners (NSAID’s) like Advil one week prior and after treatment will reduce your risk of bruising. Icing the injection area will help reduce swelling. It will take 2 weeks for swelling and bruising to resolve and see your final result. If you still have any concerns please contact your treating physician.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Bruising After Injectables

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Swelling and bruising after any injectable procedure is considered normal.  Avoidance of NSAIDS such as Motrin and Advil, aspirins and fish oils for at least one week prior to a planned injection will significantly minimize the bruising risk.  Icing is helpful for up to 48 hours after the procedure.  Arnica is also beneficial for minimizing normal postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Hope this helps and best wishes!

Bruising after injections

Unfortunately bruising is a side effect of having any injections.  It is best to avoid and medicaitons/supplements that will thin your blood a week before treatment.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

Fillers can cause bruising and swelling and sometimes is related to technique and sometimes is related to the person themselves (recent drinking, blood thinners, vitamins etc).  I suggest you see an expert in the future. for treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Bruising. after Fillers

Whenever a needle is introduced into the body there is always risk of bruising.  Increases in risk of bruising is if the patient is taking a NSAID (ibuprofen or naproxen), ASA or other blood thinners.  Quick effective treatment is simply keeping firm pressure on the area 30 secs or so. Injectors can make a difference but not as likely as the former

Vern Reynolds, DO
Columbus Anesthesiologist

There are many reasons for getting bruises on the face after injections, the most common is that the patient was taking a blood thinner in the diet or as a supplement, like vitamin E, omega 3, fish oil, aspirin, garlic, etc. Also more injections means, more chances of getting bruising. Using a needle has higher chances of bruising and many areas require the use of needle more than a cannula. Other factors can be high blood pressure on the patient. The injections can be successful, even if there is some bruising after them. It is important to realize that brusing can be a side effect from any injections in your body.

Is bruising due to how injections were done

Thanks for your photos and question.  Unfortunately, there is always a small risk of bruising with injections.  The duration of a bruise is also unpredictable.  You may want to try arnica, an over-the-counter product that has been known to help reduce post injection bruising.  Best of luck.

Is bruising due to how the fillers are injected? Is there a right way & wrong way to administer the fillers?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Unfortunately bruising is very unpredictable with any injectable treatment and does not indicate that your treatment was done incorrectly.  Ultimately you will need to allow your results time to mature over the next two weeks to see if they meet your expectations.  You can help speed resolution of your bruising using arnica montana gel and oral tablets, warm compresses to bring blood flow to the area, and eating dark, leafy greens in your diet.  Hope this helps.

Bruising depends on location on face

Dear JoysuBased on your photos, the areas you have bruised are the most common areas on the face that are prone to bruising.  It is NOT necessarily a sign of a bad doctor or injector.  I have found the best way to minimize bruising is to hold gentle pressure withe a gauze for about 30 to 60 seconds after I have injected an area.  Bruising also depends a great deal on your inherent coagulation system.Best of Luck!

Daniel Yamini, MD

Bruising after injections

Bruising is the most common side effect of injections such as fillers and Botox. Although there are methods to minimize it nothing can totally prevent the bruises all the time. It is true that the less trauma done to the skin the less the bruising so slow careful injection may not produce so much bruising

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist