Question about Botox. Does Botox spread from the site of injection?

how far(in milimeter)can 1unit botox spread from the site of injection? i had botox injected on my face and it worked on the muscle under the spot where doctor marked and injected but the point where i really wanted to fix didnt change. i asked him to inject on that point but he told me to wait. but if botox only effect on the point/site where it injected, theres no point of waiting right? or will it also spread to some range and will effect on the point i want because it is on the same muscle?

The spread of Botox

Great questions.  The spread of Botox following injection is most commonly affected by dosage and volume and is a passive dispersion.  For the most part it stays close to where you inject.  It usually takes about 7-14 days to see the full effects and if not I usually re-inject at 2 weeks if necessary.  Larger muscles usually take more units to see the effect. 

Botox migration

Botox will migrate 1cm from the site of injection.  It is important to wait 2 weeks for the botox to fully kick in before getting a touch up.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and spread from injection site

It's impossible to give you an accurate answer without knowledge of the dilution used. Typically, with a 2.5 cc of saline per 100 units of Botox dilution, the spread should be about 1 cm around the injection site. Higher dilution means more spread, lower dilution means less spread.

Spread of botox

It is difficult to answer with the information provided. The more fluid used to dilute the Botox would cause it to spread further but also diminish the results. One unit is a very small amount and would have a smaller effect. I would give it two weeks and then go back to the injector and make sure both of you understand your desired effect.

Byron A. Long, MD
Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox spread

It is difficult to help answer your question without more information: dilution, amounts etc. I would recommend you speak directly with your treating physician to get further information and to help improve your results.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Botox dilution

Hello, and thanks for your question. Unfortunately, it's not possible to give you an accurate answer without knowing the dilution that was used. The more dilute the Botox is, the further it will diffuse. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon