Can Volbella be removed for lips with hyaluronidase? Is there any side effects?

Can Volbella be removed for lips with hyaluronidase? Is there any side effects? I was told that Volbella is very difficult to remove and to just wait till it dissolves. I really just want it out!!

Removing Volbella from the lips

Volbella is a great product for lips but it is all about the right patient and right doctor (injection technique). Some irregularities can happen and,  in these cases, volbella can be partially or completely dissolved with hyaluronidase. Please consult your original doctor or see an expert injector.
I hope that helps and best regards,Dr. Sapijaszko.

Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyaluronidase can be used in precise doses to dissolve Juvederm Volbella.  

Hyaluronidase is safe to use.

The short answer is that Volbella is derived from hyaluronic acid and is therefore fully reversible with Vitrase (hyaluronidase).  Choosing an experienced injector / surgeon is critical to not having to reverse the product; however, it provides peace of mind know it can be removed if necessary.Best of luck!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes it can, side effects minimal

The Juvederm line of products including Volbella and ULTRA XC are great for lips. These are cross linked HA fillers, so the answer is YES, Hylase or Hyaluronidase can easily dissolve all the product. 

You have have bruising and swelling for a few days after dissolving the filler- this is proportional to how much filler had been placed. Overall a good and safe procedure, with very little side effects. 

(Truth- its a painful procedure, but pain is short lasting)

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

If you don't want to wait it out, you can get hyaluronidase if it's been at least two weeks or so since your treatment. Performed correctly, hyaluronidase shouldn't cause any negative side effects except for those associated with the injection process (e.g. bruising, pinpoint bleeding). Please see your injector to discuss.

Removing Volbella from the lips

Volbella is a terrific hyaluronic-acid based filler which I have used for some time with nice results, soft feel, and longer duration than other fillers in the lips. It can be partially or completely dissolved with hyaluronidase by a trained injector such as a dermatologist.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Can vobella be removed?

Dear Chazia,

Thank you for your clinical post and a common question. Juvederm Volbella can Hyaluronidase. I generally encourage patients to wait at least one month to six weeks prior to doing so as any residual swelling from the injection procedure will have gone down and some patients quite like their lip shape and size once the temporary swelling has resolved. If, however, after waiting 4 to 6 weeks you’re still unhappy with the size, shape, projection of your lips following the use of Juvederm Volbella then Hyaluronidase can be used to break down the substance. Longer term sugar gels such as Voluma and Volbella may take two to three Hyaluronidase injections separated by approximately one to two weeks to completely remove the product. There is some very small risk of loss of normal structural support, but this is more common in other facial areas and not the lips.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and seek out an experienced facial injectable physician with years of experience in use of Hyaluronidase to reduce products such as Volbella and you should achieve the results you’re looking for.

For more information please again review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Can vobella be Removed?

This can be removed with hyaluronidase, however it can be a bit unpredictable. The issue with this, is that it is difficult to predict how much will go away, how quickly, and if it is even. Sometimes it can leave your lips with a slightly bumpy or hollow look. However, sometimes it works perfectly. 

Hopefully it works out for you,
James P. Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
JB Cosmetics and Facial Surgery Center of Ottawa
Head and Neck Surgery
practicing in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Assistant Professor, University of Ottawa
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

#softtissuefillers #hyaluronidase #recovery #removaloffillers

Dear Chazia

Thank you for your question!  If your injection was just done- there is sometimes early swelling that will go down.  If you do not like the contour then an enzyme can be injected to remove the Volubella.  It may take more than one injection to remove the material. There is very little risk- particularly in the lips .  You should have a skin test prior to the injection to make sure that you do not have an allergy.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Volbella Can Be Removed with Hyaluronidase, But Will Take Time

Hyaluronidase reverses HA fillers but requires a significant number of injections for certain fillers such as Volbella or Voluma.  I suggest going to an expert filler for treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.