Volbella in nasolabial folds? How long will it last?

I had one syringe of juvederm volbella injected into my nasolabial folds 8 months ago and have hated the results as it has altered my smile. I did some research and found that volbella is typically used only in the lips and am wondering if this is why i am so unhappy with the results? How long will the volbella last in my nasolabial folds? Is there a better filler for that area??

Look at the origin not the problem...

To answer your question, Volbella last between 12-18 months, depending on where it is placed and also patient factors. If you dislike it, Hylase the filler. This dissolves HA fillers. 

If performed correctly, fillers such as Volbella, Restylane, Perlane, and Juvederm Ultra Plus can give great results. The trend now a days is to see where the nasolabial fold is coming from. In most cases this is due to loss of volume on the malar cheeks, or in front of the ear. Volume replacement here can lift the folds- in most cases this gives a more natural look than just filling folds. All cases of dermal filling should be tiered towards the individual, including the selection of fillers. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

Volbella in Nasolabial Folds

Thank you for your question in regards to Volbella. Volbella usually lasts up to 12 months. It can be used in the nasolabial folds although it is FDA indicated for lips and the lines around the lips. It is most commonly used for any area that needs more superficial correction (like lips and around eyes). I am not sure of the technique used or the depth of placement of your Volbella; We typically use a more robust product in the folds such as Juvéderm Ultra Plus or Ultra, or a Restylane. All hyaluronic acids can be dissolved with something called hyaluronidase if you are unhappy and do not want to wait for the product to dissolve on its own. To find out what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Volbella duration

Vobella can last up to a year but I usually tell my patients that it last about 6-9 months and I use around the lips only.  I don’t use it for the nasolabial folds.  Juvederm Ultra is better there.  See your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist with expertise in the use of all the FDA approved Hylaronic acid fillers to get the best results.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Volbella and Results

Volbella is a great filler that is typically used in the wrinkles around the mouth.  It sounds like it was the injection technique and you should return to have the product dissolved with Vitrase.  Best, Dr. Green

Vobella in the Nasolabial folds

Your smile is off because the filler has stiffened the nasolabial fold. Traditionally Doctors are taught to inject the length of the fold. Putting too much filler in this area can reduce the flexibility of the area. For many the improvement in appearance is a welcome trade off. For others it is an undesireable consequence. I prefer to place a bolus of the filler at the beginning of the fold, and only head south with the injection if necessary. Some patients have a superficial crease, for which Vobella would be an excellent choice. 
Fortunately Vobella is an HA and can be dissolved.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Volbella results in NLF

While Volbella was designed for the lips, we have found that it can achieve great results in the nasolabial folds as well. However, if you are unhappy with your results I suggest you return to your injector to see if hyaluronidase can help. This will dissolve the product so you can return to how you looked before Volbella. Or you can wait it out, as it may last up to a year or so.

Volbella is a great filler

Volbella is a great filler. It is a soft filler and designed for gentle and natural rejuvenation. In some cases, like cheeks, temples or naso labial folds, other fillers may be better - but that really depends what kind of issues you had prior to filler treatments.
I used many different fillers to get the best results in my patients and must say that I reserve Volbella for fine lines, lips or the areas under the eyes.
I hope that helps

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Volbella for nasolabial folds

Volbella is a nice filler, longer lasting, soft, hyaluronic-acid based. It is generally used for the lips, but it can be used for the nasolabial folds as well. Many fillers are good in this location, including Restylane, Perlane, Volift, Juvederm Ultra Plus, it all depends on your age, depth of fold, etc., best to chat with your dermatologist.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip contouring #injections #fillers

Dear ririjagger

Thank you for your question!  Injection of the naso-labial folds is tricky- as you noticed it changed your smile.  This may have happened no matter what filler is used.  The filler can last a while - but the good news is that it can be removed by injecting an enzyme to remove it.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Volbella

Dear ririjagger,

Thank you for your clinical post and question. Juvéderm® Volbella has unique gel properties that lend themselves well to augmenting the lips and sometimes even injecting in the tear trough and undereye area. In general, it lacks some of the soft tissue support characteristics that you’d want to achieve in the nasolabial fold. Injection of the smile lines needs to be underdone, rather than overdone, as to have smile lines is to look human. Over-injecting the smile lines often results in a simian-type appearance and too bulky an injection may impede migration of the lip on smile.

There is a very simple solution. Simply visit a plastic surgeon or dermatologic physician with significant soft tissue injection experience and undergo an enzymatic digestion of the product. Very dilute enzymatic digestion will affect only the Volbella, not your overlying soft tissue . Leave the post-enzymatic digestion nasolabial fold for approximately three to four weeks and see the physician again to decide if the nasolabial folds need to be softened and what product would best suit your needs.

I have been performing soft tissue filler and dermal filler injections for over 20 years and have pioneered a technique called the Voluma™ Lift. Generally, I will deploy multiple products in any given face – Restylane®, Perlane®, Juvéderm® Voluma™, Radiesse® and Sculptra – on occasion, to achieve the desired needs. Volbella is generally not something I deploy in the nasolabial fold, but some physicians, plastic surgeons and injectors make excellent results with it.

For more information, please review the link below.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and I’m sure if you pursue a judicious course of removal and enhancement that you will end up happy.

Sincerely,
R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD