1 day post-op, nipples pointing sideways, will this change once the breasts have settled? (photos)

I had a breast augmentation surgery this morning and I noticed my nipples are pointing sideways...my pre-ba nipples were also slightly pointing sideways...When the breasts settle, will the nipples front face and will there be less of a gap between breasts?

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Nipples pointing sideways

Your nipples will likely not point forward when the implants settle.  You started with wide spread breasts and "sideways" pointing nipples.  The implants will not correct this.  They will only make your breasts fuller.  With the implants in place, even at one day, your cleavage is markedly improved versus preopatively.  

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Your breasts preoperatively and postoperatively show nipples that point outwards. Although the swelling will decrease and there may be some improvement as the swelling goes down there will always be an element of sideways projection. Your gap has been improved significantly postop and one would definitely not recommend placing them any closer. You need to let the results soften as the results will change greatly over the coming 3-6 months. Be patient and keep in touch with your PS.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

One day post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

Its too early to talk about results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Nipples

The position of the nipple complex was directed laterally preoperatively. You also had a short distance between the nipple and the fold beneath the breast. As the implants " settle" the implant will tend to move downward and outward. This will improve your result . As the breast enlarges downward and outward and the nipple position stays the same, the nipple will appear more centralized on the breast. I think you are where you need to be at this point of time. 

John S. Alspaugh, MD, FACS
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

1 day post-op, nipples pointing sideways, will this change once the breasts have settled?

Thank you for your question and photograph.  After placement of implants, the appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest.  As the swelling resolves the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance.   I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. As far as your nipple position, implants will not change their location but rather can magnify any separation.  Hope this helps.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. Congratulations on your recent surgery. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS

Why are my nipples pointing outwards 1 day post breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question as this is a common one.

1. This is very post-op and your breasts need to mold and shape and it requires time.

2. The larger the breasts are, the more outward they will go - it has to go with breast axis and gravity.

3. Your original breasts did have the nipples pointing out already to some extend and breast augmentation can exaggerate this

4. Once healed, it is always possible to move your nipple-areolar complex (NAC) more centrally, keeping in mind that the NAC should be more or less centered over the implant.  But this should only be considered down the road and the scars need to be discussed.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto plastic and breast surgeon

Marc DuPéré, MD

Nipple Position

Thank you for your question and posting your photos. Breast augmentation cannot change the horizontal position of the nipple areola complex. You had lateral positioned nipples before the surgery, so you will have them postoperatively. It is too early to be very happy or sad about your results. You need more time for your implants to be settled. You should always talk to your surgeon about your concerns, and listen to his/her recommendations. 

Kind regards,

Güray

Guray Yesiladali, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Results 1 day post-op!

Thanks so much for the photos and question. Try to remind yourself that what you're seeing at this time is not your final result. Optimal healing can take up to 1 year. With time, the breasts will soften and you will notice a more natural appearance of the areola/nipples. Good to remember that you had asymmetry to begin with, which means you are likely to have if post augment as well although every effort is made to make the breasts as symmetrical as possible. Don't worry! Enjoy the new you and remember to communicate with your surgeons office as they will be there to help you every step of the way.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon